Airsoft Club at Virginia Tech
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Suggestions for DMR?

5 posters

Go down

Suggestions for DMR? Empty Suggestions for DMR?

Post  Frothy Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:58 pm

So, a few of you know I'm getting a WE SOCOM 16 soon. This means I want to have the parts for it ready when the time comes.
I've already decided on my scope mount (G&G ARMS replica, it's lowest profile that I could find), BBs (.43g, though I may need a bio-weight one).
Now, the questions:

I know a lot of it holds up to play style, but what's a good place for a magnification scope? I know that there are 3-9x40 scopes up the wahzoo out there, but it seems pointless, so I was considering picking up an NcStar 6x40 scope (cheap too). I'm not sure if that's too much magnification though, as this is my first foray into a DMR build.
--Also considering getting the lowest scope rings and a cheek riser/ pad to help with the offset.

What bipods (links would help) do you all know of that directly integrate into a swivel stud like that on the front of the M14 stock? Not saying I'm going to buy one before I skirmish it, or at least hold it, I'd just like to come up with an upgrade path for it.

Does anyone have any serious suggestions for a DMR that I have not included?
Frothy
Frothy

Back to top Go down

Suggestions for DMR? Empty Re: Suggestions for DMR?

Post  Oden Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:06 pm

I suggest getting a 2~7 scope, reason being that it's really hard to engage closer enemies with anything greater than 2x. At the gun range I've rarely turned my scope above 2. Only place I've used higher magnification is at Fulda (to snipe) and at Wolcott (to recon)

EDIT: you can find relatively cheap real steel scopes at gunshows/flea markets

EDIT2: I've used a 4x40 here at blacksburg and had a horrendous time with target acquisition.
Oden
Oden

Back to top Go down

Post  Slice Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:11 pm

Maximum magnification you will ever effectively use in airsoft is 4x (conveniently, the same magnification an ACOG uses). Beyond that, you're just jerking off. You can use a higher power scope for scouting purposes, for example on my SR25 I use a 4x-12x adjustable power optic, but 4x is what I shoot on and anything beyond that is just for looking around.

Bipod find a cheap harris clone if your M14 has a small rail to mount it on; otherwise no clue.

*Edit* There are some bipods out there that mount to the barrel, you could look into one of those. But I legit know nothing about the ones that mount to the nub of the M14.

Also, Gene, not sure how you had issues with the 4x40; that's all I've ever used for airsoft scopes (basically either a 1x aimpoint/Eotech or a 4x scope) and I've never had issues. silent

*Edit 2* I see you didn't mention a sling; I suggest getting one. I know it's only a SOCOM one and not the full length, but with a scope and other shit on it your gun will get heavy. Besides, if you're moving, you may want your rifle slung and to have your pistol out since you can't engage at close ranges with the rifle.
Slice
Slice
ForumKiller
ForumKiller

Back to top Go down

Post  Frothy Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:17 pm

Alright, good information to know. Basically a 3-9x40 is a good choice. Not sure how low I can go with the scope rings though (i'm guessing medium at best), will have to seen once I piece it together.
I'd be eyeballing this bipod: 28965 from evike (cannot post links yet... - It's a Harris replica).

*EDIT* Good point about the sling. A 2 point should do fine, or I might just steal my G36C's, I'm not going to be using both at once.
No way Jose on a barrel mounted bipod, though the distance would help with stability, I'm going for some semblance of accuracy.
Frothy
Frothy

Back to top Go down

Post  Oden Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:05 pm

It was my first time using a scope xD the eye relief was horrid and eye lens was tiny.

also I suggest figuring out another way to sling it differently. since the sling mounts are on the bottom and the rifle will get really top heavy it'll be really awkward using the regular mounts. Or you can practice alot, that's also an option lol
Oden
Oden

Back to top Go down

Post  Prophet Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:05 pm

What I recommend is a 1-4x scope. At 1x i can keep both eyes open and use it as a medium engagement sight and at 4x i hit the max of what I want to magnify. If you get a 3-9x you will only use the bottom magnification. Why not get a 1-4x and find use for all?

Recommended is the leapers 1-4x cqb scope Link:scope link
and if you want cheaper the tasco: scope link

I own the leapers and love it.
Jackie owns the tasco and loves it as well
Prophet
Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post  Papa Bear Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:21 pm

Good links Sean been meaning to pick up one of those leapers for myself, hows the eye relief?
Papa Bear
Papa Bear

Back to top Go down

Post  Slice Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:31 pm

Oh, one other thing to consider is aesthetics/look: Are you going for any sort of legit M14 look? If so, then you need to pick up a scope that looks like one of the issued ones. If not, then problem solved.
Slice
Slice
ForumKiller
ForumKiller

Back to top Go down

Post  Frothy Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:04 pm

Problem solved Very Happy.
Thanks for all of the input so far. If you guys think of anything else, post away.
Frothy
Frothy

Back to top Go down

Post  Prophet Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:12 pm

the eye relief on the leapers is good from 3-5 inches. so it is very adjustable in position.
Prophet
Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down