Airsoft Club at Virginia Tech
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ACVT Games for spring semester 2013

+8
Oden
Bad Decision
Kothra
EthicalSneak
Dutch
Papa Bear
Church
Prophet
12 posters

Go down

What game day starting in Feb?

ACVT Games for spring semester 2013 I_vote_lcap75%ACVT Games for spring semester 2013 I_vote_rcap 75% 
[ 9 ]
ACVT Games for spring semester 2013 I_vote_lcap25%ACVT Games for spring semester 2013 I_vote_rcap 25% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 12

ACVT Games for spring semester 2013 Empty ACVT Games for spring semester 2013

Post  Prophet Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:54 pm

This is the place for discussion of all concerns involving game day and times for spring semester. We will run this topic till the 18th then submit to a vote. There was a topic on FB but this is the official place to decide things for ACVT.

Last edited by Prophet on Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
Prophet
Prophet

Back to top Go down

ACVT Games for spring semester 2013 Empty Re: ACVT Games for spring semester 2013

Post  Church Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:06 pm

Sunday is the obvious safe day to play as hunting is not permitted this day of the week no matter what the season.

However, after February 31st all small game seasons close with the exception of Crow which ends March 16th.

Spring Gobbler season is a factor that opens mid April and runs through early May. Though, our field...the burning grounds should not hold any roosting Turkeys and any Turkey hunter should know that. The only threat of a Turkey hunter in my mind (this is where I would hunt if near our field) would be up beyond our field closer to the mountain tops where there are more probable roosting areas.

Virginia Hunting seasons are listed in the link below:
http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/#seasons

Saturday or Sunday, its up to the majority...I have no preference.
Church
Church

Back to top Go down

ACVT Games for spring semester 2013 Empty Re: ACVT Games for spring semester 2013

Post  Papa Bear Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:12 pm

My votes for saturday, cant play at all on sundays due to work. However I barely played last semester so I feel that my opinion should be less important than say more consistent players.
Papa Bear
Papa Bear

Back to top Go down

Post  Dutch Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:16 pm

I prefer sundays because i prefer being shot at by small plastic bbs and not live ammo. But, it is a majority decision.
Dutch
Dutch
Gearmosexual

Back to top Go down

Post  EthicalSneak Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:24 pm

I'd prefer to play Saturdays. I wouldn't be able to make Sundays except maybe 2 or 3 times in the Semester.

Hunting is a concern, but when the major hunting seasons end I don't remember many issues with hunters in the Spring semester at the old field. Also, when we move in and set up, provided everyone is there normal boisterous self, we should be making enough noise to make hunting futile. Maybe bring an air horn and sound it off to announce our presence at the beginning of the day.

Saturdays also divide the weekends nicely; I like having one more day to fix, clean, and sort things after a game day before the week begins.
EthicalSneak
EthicalSneak

Back to top Go down

Post  Kothra Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:41 pm

I also vote for Saturday. It's better to play with more people there, and it'll also give me time to play 40k on Sunday.

Also the air horn sounds like a good idea.
Kothra
Kothra

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Decision Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:33 pm

I can vouch for saturday... but that is because it will be the only morning I can get off work. Hunting should be no issue as Kaleb pointed out.

The air horn will barely be audible past 100ft. We tried it at the old field as a signal of game end... but people couldn't hear it after a certain distance.
Bad Decision
Bad Decision
Shifty Little Bastard

Back to top Go down

Post  Oden Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:53 pm

I would prefer Saturday but will try attend either day (or both).

Air horns wont work in the new field due to the spawn area being lower than our usual play area, it would be better to let it off in the clearing. On top of that most are higher pitched noises which get scattered around by the trees (also why we can't hear most people that yell).

I can't really tell if Kaleb's post is saying hunting isn't an issue, the only real safe days accourding to his post is mid march to mid april. but from my point of view there isn't much to be hunted in the area we play. iirc there arent any major water sources for waterfowl. I can't remember seeing any viable food source in the area other than leaf matter (then again, I'm not too keen on spotting nuts, but I don't remember getting hit on the head with one yet)
Oden
Oden

Back to top Go down

Post  Church Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:48 pm

plain and simple Gene...with the number of snakes we saw last year...turkey and other small game probably wont be hanging out in controlled burn grounds. The point that was being made from my post is, that once crow season closes (not sure how many crow hunters we would ever encounter at our field anyways) the only thing left is Spring Gobbler that is in from mid April through early May. Regardless of turkey season...I just dont believe that an educated hunter would hunt those grounds. From my experiences as a hunter...I would go elsewhere
Church
Church

Back to top Go down

Post  Church Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:54 pm

also...to avoid confusion in the future by uninformed law enforcement, ROTC, hikers, etc... it may be time to construct a simple sign that can be posted during play and removed once we are finished. If we can agree on a statement I can laminate the document. I know that the Forest Service has hinted at making a permanent sign but it may be a good idea to go ahead and post a "heads-up" to others. This may also help inform hunters that the field is frequently used and could be why they no longer see game as they used to and could drive them to find other hunting areas.
Church
Church

Back to top Go down

Post  kalak Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:57 am

I like the idea of a sign, but it would have to be more semi-permanent than to just while we're playing. Hunters walking out to the field would probably be doing so before we get there, so they'd be there when we should up, and would have no sign to read.

Some form of caution tape or other marking might work around the boundaries of the field, but we'd have to get permission for that, and check it regularly since it will get blown down/break/broken by wildlife.

I'm more leery of hunting during the fall semester than the spring semester, but reasonable caution makes sense. Perhaps an airhorn blown around at multiple points while checking the border each week, so combining some of the ideas.

kalak

Back to top Go down

Post  Dutch Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:33 pm

On the topic of a sign, the rangers said they plan on putting up a sign for us stating that the area is for airsoft use. We have been waiting for their schedule to clear so we can get some other formalities out of the way, the sign would come along with that.
Dutch
Dutch
Gearmosexual

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Decision Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:38 pm

From my understanding, nothing has happened but us being allowed to go out and play in concerns to the Ranger Department. Is anyone actively meeting with them to pursue any kind of resolution with the field? For the sake of Safety.
Bad Decision
Bad Decision
Shifty Little Bastard

Back to top Go down

Post  Dutch Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:02 pm

that is a discussion for another topic, but yes we are actively in contact with the rangers.

Back onto the subject of everyone's opinions for game days please.
Dutch
Dutch
Gearmosexual

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Decision Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:06 pm

Actually, I think it plays a part in our decision for having a game there... If they are actively working with us and hopefully making a sign and marking off the area, then the day we play on would not have to be affected by any kind of hunting as everything would be clearly marked. The Ranger's involvement is a concern of mine when it comes to choosing a game day. So, no, not irrelevant.
Bad Decision
Bad Decision
Shifty Little Bastard

Back to top Go down

Post  Dutch Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:11 pm

as i stated earlier, we are working on getting a sign, we are still waiting on the rangers, so we need to make the decision based off of not having a sign there.
Dutch
Dutch
Gearmosexual

Back to top Go down

Post  Breaker Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:28 am

I'm for Saturday, for arguments already listed.
Breaker
Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post  Prophet Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:33 pm

There have been four conversations at this point about getting a sign in place. Ms. Lyles has said it was something they were planning on doing in the spring. Along with signs that are periodic in the woods marking a border for the airsoft field.I have not pushed it further at this point because I really didn't see the point in pissing her off by contacting her before springtime as that was her stated time of possibility. So yes, I email her every week that we have a game so we are in constant contact. I ask her questions during these emails and she clarifies. But the way they have been proceeding so far I do not think we are high on the list.

I think Kalebs idea for a sign that would hang off the gate and let people know that we were having a game currently would be a good idea. It would also let them know that plastic projectiles are being fired and that they should call out or use an airhorn on approach.

If we could hang an airhorn from a tree just before our staging area that would be a great tool for law enforcement to be able to enter the area safely as well.

But back to the original topic, it seems that Saturdays are the most sought after day.
Prophet
Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Decision Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:25 pm

Prophet wrote:There have been four conversations at this point about getting a sign in place. Ms. Lyles has said it was something they were planning on doing in the spring. Along with signs that are periodic in the woods marking a border for the airsoft field.I have not pushed it further at this point because I really didn't see the point in pissing her off by contacting her before springtime as that was her stated time of possibility. So yes, I email her every week that we have a game so we are in constant contact. I ask her questions during these emails and she clarifies. But the way they have been proceeding so far I do not think we are high on the list.

I think Kalebs idea for a sign that would hang off the gate and let people know that we were having a game currently would be a good idea. It would also let them know that plastic projectiles are being fired and that they should call out or use an airhorn on approach.

If we could hang an airhorn from a tree just before our staging area that would be a great tool for law enforcement to be able to enter the area safely as well.

Good to know.
Bad Decision
Bad Decision
Shifty Little Bastard

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Decision Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:45 pm

Crow
Season:

August 18 through March 16 on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday only.

September 1 through March 9 on National Forest Lands and Department lands (Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday only).

Crows are a federally regulated migratory species; however, no HIP number is required and hunters may use unplugged shotguns to hunt them.
Electronic calls may be used on private and public lands.

Groundhog
Season:

Continuous open season on private lands.
Groundhog hunting on National Forest lands and Department lands is permitted from September 1-March 9 and during the spring turkey season.
Groundhog hunting is permitted during the spring squirrel season only on Department lands that are open for spring squirrel hunting.
Groundhog hunting is not permitted on National Forest lands during the spring squirrel season.

Hunting Preserves

Pen-raised game birds may be taken on licensed hunting preserves from September 1 through April 30. A list of hunting preserves open to the public may be obtained at the Department's Richmond office or on the Shooting Preserves page on this website. A resident hunting on a licensed hunting preserve is required to have a hunting license. A non-resident is required to have either a nonresident hunting license or a special non-resident hunting (shooting) preserve license which is valid only within the boundaries of licensed hunting preserves.

Also see the Virginia Wildlife magazine article "Upland Game Bird Trail" (PDF).
Grouse
Bag Limit:

Three per day.
Season:

October 27 through February 9 west of I-95
Continuous closed season east of I-95

Quail and Pheasant
Bag Limits:

Quail: six per day
Pheasant: no daily or seasonal bag limit

Season:

November 10 through January 31

Rabbit
Bag Limit:

Six per day

Season:

November 3 through February 28

Squirrel (Gray, Red, and Fox*)

* Fox squirrel open only in the counties west of the Blue Ridge and in the counties of Albemarle, Bedford, Culpeper, Fauquier, Franklin, Greene, Loudoun, Madison, Orange, Patrick, Prince William, and Rappahannock during any authorized squirrel season.
Bag Limit:

All squirrels combined - six per day.

Season:

Fall Season: September 1 through January 31: statewide
Bad Decision
Bad Decision
Shifty Little Bastard

Back to top Go down

Post  Cleaver Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:29 pm

Theoretically speaking, why could we not alternate between Saturday and Sunday? Once hunting is over the choice is ours. While it would add a bit of complication I don't think it would be really that difficult to keep track of. This way we wouldn't alienate those that can't come Saturdays and those that can't come Sundays. Also, if someone knows that they only get to play every other weekend they may clear their schedule more often to accommodate that.

Just a thought.
Cleaver
Cleaver

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Decision Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:44 pm

Should I rehighlight the hunting seasons as i posted them? No one seems to read that a lot of small game including rabbits, squirrels, small birds, and crows have a season that extends through February and March. I prefer Saturdays, but i dont think we can ignore the facts that we have seen a few people up there hunting said small game on saturdays.

And as soon as that small game is over, turkey season starts which allows for the hunting of other small game.
Bad Decision
Bad Decision
Shifty Little Bastard

Back to top Go down

Post  nickrowe Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:33 pm

I am for Saturday still but the hunting season is worrying though. I am ok with Sunday since I can reschedule my hours.

nickrowe

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down