Airsoft Club at Virginia Tech
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cleaver's (No Longer Mk12 Mod 0) DMR Project

+3
Slice
Papa Bear
Cleaver
7 posters

Go down

Cleaver's (No Longer Mk12 Mod 0) DMR Project Empty Cleaver's (No Longer Mk12 Mod 0) DMR Project

Post  Cleaver Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:00 pm

So I'm still in the process of putting this thing together, 4 years of airsoft and I've not quite yet accumulated the tools necessary to take apart an M4 apparently. Oh well, it's a learning process. What I CAN provide, however, is a rough beginning look of what it'll be. I'm pretty excited. Heck, I even kind of like the tiger-stripe pattern on there; I'd probably even keep it if it weren't chipping down to the bare (and very shiny) metal underneath. I'll probably end up keeping it on all the plastic elements and just duracoat / Alumahyde II the front element. Also, doesn't look like my Halo QD is going to quite work on this setup, but my old (and first) suppressor seems to be a solid fit.

Cleaver's (No Longer Mk12 Mod 0) DMR Project Ecc20121

Last edited by Cleaver on Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cleaver
Cleaver

Back to top Go down

Cleaver's (No Longer Mk12 Mod 0) DMR Project Empty Re: Cleaver's (No Longer Mk12 Mod 0) DMR Project

Post  Papa Bear Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:11 pm

glad to see my old dmr is getting a new life
Papa Bear
Papa Bear

Back to top Go down

Cleaver's (No Longer Mk12 Mod 0) DMR Project Empty Re: Cleaver's (No Longer Mk12 Mod 0) DMR Project

Post  Slice Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:00 pm

Not 7.62mm, not acceptable. Razz

Just kidding bro, looks good!
Slice
Slice
ForumKiller
ForumKiller

Back to top Go down

Post  King_of_the_Rats Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:34 pm

If you ever come across the CA handguard that's plastic/CF BUY IT omg BUY IT. The cloners with metal handguards completely ruin the functionality of that gun. When I found that out I was crushed.

I do hope there'sa new scope and mounts in it's future.
King_of_the_Rats
King_of_the_Rats

Back to top Go down

Post  Cleaver Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:30 pm

@Slice

Yeah...it's a poor man's SR-25 I'll admit. To hell with legitness, I wanted the SR-25's look with an M4's flexibility.

@King

Metal handguard doesn't bother me so much. It certainly doesn't bother me enough to buy $200 worth of front end. Also, the scope is perfectly fine; long forgiving eye relief and bright objective, plus illuminated crosshairs if I so desire. I think the mounts are fairly standard UTG mounts, what would you recommend?
Cleaver
Cleaver

Back to top Go down

Post  Papa Bear Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:45 am

Not a pro sniping fool so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Id recommend a mount like this http://www.ebairsoft.com/30mm-offset-mount-p-1923.html they are lower profile and generally more comfortable for the shooter but hey if what you have works for you do your thing
Papa Bear
Papa Bear

Back to top Go down

Post  Slice Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:59 am

Get a scope like the one pictured, and either a mount like Drew suggested (I have one on my short dot) or lower mounts such as the ones in this photo:

Cleaver's (No Longer Mk12 Mod 0) DMR Project Seal-spr
Slice
Slice
ForumKiller
ForumKiller

Back to top Go down

Post  Cleaver Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:43 pm

@Slice:

Do you use any kind of optic protection?
Cleaver
Cleaver

Back to top Go down

Post  Slice Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:55 pm

Cleaver wrote:@Slice:

Do you use any kind of optic protection?

Yeah, Trojans. Very Happy

In all seriousness though...there's a kill flash in one of my aimpoints that serves as protection from BB's, but otherwise, no. At the ranges I'm engaging at, the BB's are no longer traveling fast enough to be a threat to the glass (and realistically, even point blank they're not a threat to scope glass), and if I'm closer to someone, odds are they're shooting ME and not my scope.
Slice
Slice
ForumKiller
ForumKiller

Back to top Go down

Post  Cleaver Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:53 pm

Update!

Decided to ditch the Mod 0 front, because heavy. Gun should finally (hopefully) be together 100% by next home game.

Cleaver's (No Longer Mk12 Mod 0) DMR Project Imag0110
Cleaver
Cleaver

Back to top Go down

Post  Cleaver Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:39 pm

Not 7.62mm, not acceptable.

Challenge Accepted, I guess?

So I changed my mind...which shouldn't be entirely surprising, I guess. I've since decided to put my P* into an SR25, because apparently I like making things difficult by adding custom parts / custom modifications / fickle magazines into the mix. JOY!

Anyway, below is what I'm kind of down to. I'm looking for input because I'm not 100% sure the configuration to lean towards yet. I'm open to any interpretation. I'm already kind of leaning a particular (undisclosed) direction, but I'm at the very least willing to share what I'm thinking, and consider if anyone else has a particular opinion that may sway me.

Notable elements are front end and barrel length (16" / 400mm barrel vs. 20" / 500mm barrel)

Cleaver's (No Longer Mk12 Mod 0) DMR Project Magpul2
Cleaver's (No Longer Mk12 Mod 0) DMR Project Rsass1
Cleaver
Cleaver

Back to top Go down

Post  Oden Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:41 pm

barrel length isn't really important imo, my AR for a while was very accurate with a 363mm, and my BAR uses a 410mm. Both standard brass barrels.

Both front end styles are nice on your hands, I'd honestly pick the lighter one since you'll prolly be putting a bull barrel through it

Bipods are nice if you plan to be sitting around for a while. Make sure you get a nice one that allows you to turn. alot of cheap bipods wont allow you to swivel around alot. Alternatively you could try a grip-pod

If you go with the first two designs, the front sight wont get in the way even though it looks like it would...however you do get a little shadow in your scope. you can probably change out the gas block for a low-pro one, maybe with a rail. you really don't need back up sights though.

Oden
Oden

Back to top Go down

Post  Cleaver Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:15 pm

I'm not so much concerned about barrel length from an accuracy standpoint, but more from a "knock everything down in the forest" standpoint.

Both are polycarb fronts, but I can get genuine magpul for cheaper than madbull repro PRI fronts (easier to find, too)

I ran a front sight on the m4 before I broke it down, I know the magpul fronts need that ring that goes by the front sight...I guess a gas block could hold it there just the same?
Cleaver
Cleaver

Back to top Go down

Post  Oden Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:23 am

yes the front sight is just a gas block with an integral front sight. they will affix themselves the same way and connect to the "gas system" the same way too. The endcap that lines up with the gas tube will also go in place the normal way as well
Oden
Oden

Back to top Go down

Post  Cleaver Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:08 pm

PROJECT UPDATE!

The back half of the gun is pretty good to go. Front half will probably be close to the middle image above. Now I'm stuck on flash hiders. SO MANY FLASH HIDERS SO LITTLE TIME! Probably gonna go for an AAC clone though for QD "barrel extension" action!

Cleaver's (No Longer Mk12 Mod 0) DMR Project 2013-010
Cleaver
Cleaver

Back to top Go down

Post  Slice Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:56 pm

Still not a fan of the scope. Dunno why. Neutral
Slice
Slice
ForumKiller
ForumKiller

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Decision Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:03 pm

Slice wrote:Still not a fan of the scope. Dunno why. Neutral

me either.... just doesnt seem to look right on the gun...
Bad Decision
Bad Decision
Shifty Little Bastard

Back to top Go down

Post  Cleaver Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:37 am

One day I want to get a 1-4x like Sean has and use that on this gun. Then I'd relegate the 4x fixed to the bolt action when I get it done...

Closer to this (from previous page...)
Cleaver's (No Longer Mk12 Mod 0) DMR Project Rsass1
Cleaver
Cleaver

Back to top Go down

Post  Cleaver Fri May 03, 2013 8:11 pm

Hey guys...

I made a thing.

Cleaver's (No Longer Mk12 Mod 0) DMR Project 2013-011

For reference:

Cleaver's (No Longer Mk12 Mod 0) DMR Project 1349895698
Cleaver
Cleaver

Back to top Go down

Post  Slice Fri May 03, 2013 8:55 pm

Dude, I dig it!

...once you change the scope! Laughing
Slice
Slice
ForumKiller
ForumKiller

Back to top Go down

Post  Papa Bear Fri May 03, 2013 9:00 pm

http://www.ebairsoft.com/dragon-bd0047-aluminum-block-p-5180.html

heres a gas block that looks similar

also nice to see something different than the typical seal/cag/pj blaster props to you for having originality.
Papa Bear
Papa Bear

Back to top Go down

Post  Prophet Sat May 04, 2013 9:49 am

Kill Flash link
Get a kill flash like this and it will make the scope look nice and boxy in the front again and it will stop your target from seeing you as you are about to pull the trigger. Also adds a bit of protection.
Boom prob solved!
Plus someone with an acog can chip in and get the other one.
Prophet
Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post  Cleaver Wed May 08, 2013 10:24 pm

Clone M3 scope inbound.

Also...screw all of you.

<3

Cleaver
Cleaver

Back to top Go down

Post  Oden Thu May 09, 2013 8:22 pm

omfg that front end is fking sexy
Oden
Oden

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down