Airsoft Club at Virginia Tech
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Operation Blacksheep: September 21-23 @ Gore, VA

+7
Bad Decision
Maffyx
Dutch
Oden
Dragoncaptin
Papa Bear
Cleaver
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Operation Blacksheep: September 21-23 @ Gore, VA Empty Operation Blacksheep: September 21-23 @ Gore, VA

Post  Cleaver Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:18 am

Bringing this over from VAF because HOLY CRAP. This game looks like it could be absurd levels of epic.

For those who haven't been reading between the lines on some of the posts I have made, I have been looking to run a large-scale "national" level op here in VA for the past year or so. I'm pleased to announce that the plan has come to fruition, as we will be having OP BLACKSHEEP at the COVE in Gore, VA, this fall. I can confirm the event will have two UH-1 Huey Helicopters taking people to LZ's throughout the 3000 acre site. There will be several small boat missions, and Cove management has approved a QRF from each team to use ATV's for direct action missions. Several deuces will be providing transport and we have also been promised an M48 tank. All of this will be run by Major John Bucciarelli of Blacksheep combat simulation, the reputable half of the former Pine Plains team. The event will be 21 hours of force on force combat, and will test you in ways few events will. Cost will be roughly 150 with additions for meal plan and possibly for chopper use as well. More info will be found soon at opblacksheep.com.

In years past there has been room for 600 people it seems with 11 man squads (10+1 Leader). I'm also aware this OP is sort of going to be a big commitment. Yes, it's expensive. Yes, it's long. But I figured might as well post up early so those that desire to go can get their ducks in a row.

NOTE: Looking through it seems their requirements are very specific. Granted, the ruleset I'm looking through is for their NY game, things may change. For example, a given squad must all be in same pattern uniform. Also note, no MultiCam. If we do somehow manage to muster 11 people in a squad we'd have to coordinate. If we don't make 11 those going are going to have to accept that they may have to conform to a given pattern type.

Last edited by Cleaver on Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Cleaver
Cleaver

Back to top Go down

Operation Blacksheep: September 21-23 @ Gore, VA Empty Re: Operation Blacksheep: September 21-23 @ Gore, VA

Post  Papa Bear Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:34 am

If they dont require orange tips (which they might) Im going.
Papa Bear
Papa Bear

Back to top Go down

Operation Blacksheep: September 21-23 @ Gore, VA Empty Re: Operation Blacksheep: September 21-23 @ Gore, VA

Post  Dragoncaptin Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:40 am

Def interested. Need more details but totally interested.
Dragoncaptin
Dragoncaptin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cleaver Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:59 am

Link to Pine Plains Op

This isn't likely going to be 100% accurate because of the location. But you can probably read through and assume the things that are going to stay and the things that will change.
Cleaver
Cleaver

Back to top Go down

Post  Papa Bear Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:00 am

link aint working
Papa Bear
Papa Bear

Back to top Go down

Post  Oden Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:01 am

I definitely intrigued but not completely bought. Alot of people promise over 12 hours of action, but very few deliver on quality or even continuity of those missions. Also, keep in mind for your preparation for an event like this that most of our games wind down after 4~6 hours of broken up play. No doubt at Fulda we were ahead of the curve physically and mentally, but at the end of the first day portion half of us turned in. If you want to enjoy and put your 150 to good use be sure to work out physically and mentally (I've been on a 25 hour operation being pulled left and right by a command...it's fun as hell but its draining)
Oden
Oden

Back to top Go down

Post  Cleaver Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:50 pm

Link works fine for me?

Reading through online literature, it appears that on all accounts this is a 21 hour straight game. There might be 1 rest point...but it appears the night game runs into the morning. There are posts on the related forums about tips staying awake, so I can only assume that's the case.
Cleaver
Cleaver

Back to top Go down

Post  Dutch Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:06 pm

as much as i would love going to this, my parents will be in town for the football game that weekend so i'm out.
Dutch
Dutch
Gearmosexual

Back to top Go down

Post  Maffyx Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:38 pm

Navigating the Cove during the day was pretty rough, at least the portion Tom and I played on. Trying to get around it at night wouldn't be an option in my opinion.

Maffyx

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Decision Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:07 pm

From the images I am seeing orange tape is used on most of the weapons. So not permanent affixed blaze orange barrels.

Also, I would be down once I learn more. But I want squad cohesion and to actually work as a well oiled unit rather than run and gun like Somalis in the streets.
Bad Decision
Bad Decision
Shifty Little Bastard

Back to top Go down

Post  Slice Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:21 am

Blue Troop is cautiously debating. We'll see.
Slice
Slice
ForumKiller
ForumKiller

Back to top Go down

Post  Papa Bear Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:31 pm

Good to hear would love to roll with you guys
Papa Bear
Papa Bear

Back to top Go down

Post  k30 Sun May 06, 2012 10:05 pm

If VTAC were to go to this, what side/camo would we use, bearing in mind that Multicam isn't an option?

k30

Back to top Go down

Post  Cleaver Mon May 07, 2012 12:06 am

It really kind of depends on what our numbers are looking like and who else plans on going. There are factors to consider. For example, if Slice's crew goes and requests we help fill the holes I'm sure we would have the capacity to do that adequately, and would have to coordinate with them. This is a fairly large event, we may even end up coordinating as high as seeing what the VAF guys do. It's too early to tell. But if you're budgeting for this I think it's safe to say that you may need to get a new set of duds.

If it were MY choice, I'd still go tan...I've always had this theory that the tan side has a greater vested interest in the game of airsoft, and thus would have better equipment / better team tactics / better attitudes (NATO vs. Warsaw at Fulda...). However, this ain't your average Ballahack game, so that theory kinda gets thrown out the window.
Cleaver
Cleaver

Back to top Go down

Post  hmonay Wed May 09, 2012 4:09 am

According to the website registration ends in 22 days

https://www.opblacksheep.com/register/
hmonay
hmonay

Back to top Go down

Post  Cleaver Wed May 09, 2012 2:18 pm

That's for the New York event, the VA Event hasn't really officially been announced yet.
Cleaver
Cleaver

Back to top Go down

Post  Cleaver Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:13 pm

VA Event is official and live:

OMG CLICK ME CLICK ME CLICK ME!

Good news: No orange tips, so far as I can tell in the Operation Order

Bad news: This event is still a hell of a commitment. Squads are expected to be in the same pattern uniforms (and no multicam). Tracers are required at night. The event itself isn't cheap. I hope you like playing airsoft for 21 hours straight.

I'm still willing to go. I just doubt we're going to find 11 people from VTAC that feel the same. We may have to stretch a bit, reach out to other local groups to round out a group of 11, IF anyone besides myself is even interested in this.

Team colors, for the record:

d) Company A (GREEN) will be in OD/Green Fatigues, Battle Dress Uniform (BDU), Woodland MARPAT, Woodland CADPAT, Woodland DPM & ACU. The PCU jacket is considered part of the ACU.

e) Company B (TAN) will be in Tan/Coyote Brown Fatigues, Desert Camouflage Uniform (DCU), Desert MARPAT, Arid CADPAT, Arid DDPM & Desert A-TACS.
Cleaver
Cleaver

Back to top Go down

Post  Papa Bear Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:54 pm

Id be interested in greenside(woodland)
Papa Bear
Papa Bear

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Decision Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:53 am

I could be interested. But I may only be allowed one weekend off a month and I have previous engagements that have not been sorted out... BUT MAYBE!
Bad Decision
Bad Decision
Shifty Little Bastard

Back to top Go down

Post  Dragoncaptin Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:41 pm

Im a definite maybe. I dont wanna take off to many weekends early in the semester so as to not get behind on thesis. we shall see.
Dragoncaptin
Dragoncaptin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cleaver Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:05 pm

For all intents and purposes, this is what I'm expecting out of this event:

Note that OP Blacksheep: NY is mostly MOUT style. I believe The Cove is more like the forests most of us are used to.
Cleaver
Cleaver

Back to top Go down

Operation Blacksheep: September 21-23 @ Gore, VA Empty Here are some important details for you guys

Post  skiboatm Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:54 am

There's a little bit of misinformation on this board, so let me try and clear things up for you guys.

I'm a friend of the organizer and was on the scouting trip to check out the site, and a 3 time veteran of OP Pine Plains, so hopefully I'll be able to provide some extra clarity

First, orange tips are a requirement. Why would this deter anyone from going? Orange electrical tape on the end of your gun will suffice. Since there's a shooting range on site (which will be shut down for the duration of the game), the organizers are particularly attuned to the possibility of mixing up real steel with airsoft, and the disasters that can accompany that. So some sort of orange marking on the end of your gun distinguishing it from real steal is a must.

Second, the rules are roughly the same as for the NY event. The website is up and constantly being updated, and there's a lot of good info on the forums, so please check in often for updates.

Third, if you've never been to a Blacksheep game, you must go. It's 21 hours of non stop combat. The only downtime is the downtime that you create for yourself if you choose to pull yourself off the battlefield. There is a brief time during the night where they take a break from FRAGO missions (missions that are specialized secondary objectives with a specific objective/scenario), but the main action on the battlefield is continuous.

Fourth, squad cohesion is invaluable, and it's not something you truly value until you go to a venue that doesn't focus on it. This is not a run-and-gun event... everything happens at the squad level. You move as a squad, you REDCON as a squad, you get objectives as a squad, and you fight as a squad. If you die, you don't go back to respawn and run back in, you wait for the medics on your squad to heal you and you're back in the fight. You're only as strong as your weakest player, and training as a squad is necessary to build that unit cohesion.

Lastly, clarifying some misinformation... Tracers are not required (just requiring a specific color if they're to be used), Multicam is allowed for Bravo company (recent development), and GMR will not be attending this game. GMR was banned for 1 year from all Blacksheep games for unsportsmanlike conduct and a dangerous disregard for the organization's rules and regs (no orange tips, jumping from rooftop to rooftop, etc).

Now a little more info on the game... if you haven't met Major Bucciarelli, he's a real visionary for the sport. He pours his military expertise and tactical knowledge into these game to provide the most real and immersive experience you can have. He says this at the beginning and end of every game, but this game is a challenge. It will challenge you mentally, physically, and spiritually. It may sound cheesy, but its true, because only the strength of will and support of your team mates can push you through the 4AM "wall" to keep kicking ass and taking names. This game will separate the men from the boys, and if not simply to understand squad integrity, you should definitely attend. This is a huge investment of time and money on his part, and the success of this game can really have an impact on the legitimacy and reknown of this sport on a national level. So please, if you don't have any plans that weekend, make the investment in your sport and go to this game, I promise it will be like nothing you've ever experienced.

If anyone has any questions, by all means PM me and I'd love to talk with you. It's critical that this game gets the regional support it needs to be run again next year.

Matt
"Prophet"
Team Wolverines

Date: 21 – 23 September 2012
Scenario: Operation Blacksheep is a force on force, objective oriented, 21 hour continuous tactical simulation
Age Restriction: must be 18+
Citizenship: Open to an international audience. Non US citizens must meet applicable requirements for travel to the United States
Magazine Restriction: mid-cap only
Pellet Restriction: biodegradable only
Uniforms:
Company A (GREEN) will be in OD/Green Fatigues, Battle Dress Uniform (BDU), Woodland MARPAT, Woodland CADPAT, Woodland DPM, ATAC-FG & ACU. The PCU jacket is considered part of the ACU.
Company B (TAN) will be in Tan/Coyote Brown Fatigues, Desert Camouflage Uniform (DCU), Desert MARPAT, Arid CADPAT, Arid DDPM; Desert A-TACS and Multicam.
skiboatm
skiboatm

Back to top Go down

Post  Cleaver Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:16 pm

Thank you for clearing up those details! This information certainly helps. VTAC is primarily a MultiCam Team, so not being able to use our chosen pattern would be a big turnoff. The barrier for entry is still a large one for many, but these developments definitely help things.
Cleaver
Cleaver

Back to top Go down

Operation Blacksheep: September 21-23 @ Gore, VA Empty Wolverines need more players for this game...

Post  skiboatm Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:21 am

Also, The Wolverines are looking for another 3-7 guys to fill out our 2 squad roster for this game. If you guys don't have enough to form a full squad but would still like to attend, please contact Christian Chastain (SL for the Wolverines) and let him know you're interested. Posted below is his post on MAAPR

"My name is ChristianC, and I am the SL for the B 1-5 Wolverines.
I have 15 guys coming to the Cove, which is one and a half squads, so I need a few more guys to bulk out my 2nd squad. My team has been to Pine Plains 2,4, and 6 as well as the most recent Op: Blacksheep at Pine Plains, where 2 people on my squad won Soldier of the Battle for Bravo.
I am looking for a group of 3-7 athletic guys to come on board and fill out my 2nd squad. We are a very athletic team, and the pace of operations we set is not for everyone. I am specifically looking for people that are in shape and can keep up.
Our leadership style is easygoing and based around friendships and camraderie. No Russian Commissar "my-way-or-the-highway" stuff here. Orders from Squad Leaders tend to be direct and concise while not micro-managing, and give broad latitude to Team Leaders and individuals to use their initiative to get the job done. Of course we would expect new players to integrate with the Wolverine command structure for this game, and not to stay aloof or break off and do their own thing.
Our squad "culture" is based around mutual respect and support, and to that end we will not tolerate personal attacks, internally or towards other squads. Belligerence, bad attitudes, and prolific obscenity will be not be allowed. We understand that war (and subsequently simulations) bring out the animal in all of us, but self control, situational awareness, and good sportsmanship is crucial.
We treat our teammates like our friends, so dont worry about joining a squad only to end up being cannon fodder for people that dont care about you. I care very much that each person under my watch has good fun, gets trigger time, and is included in decision making processes from time to time if they want to be. We treat each other with respect, assholes and hotheads need not apply.
Gear: We will be running DCU camo only. We have 4 SAWs already, but if you have a SAW gunner, that is only a bonus and we will rearrange. The rest are light riflemen.
Do I even need to say I expect squeaky-clean hit-calling? We will come get you if you are hit. Because that is what friends do.
If this sounds like something you would like to be a part of, email me christianchastain at gmail.com and tell me about yourself."
skiboatm
skiboatm

Back to top Go down

Operation Blacksheep: September 21-23 @ Gore, VA Empty Gauging interest

Post  skiboatm Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:30 am

Hey all, just trying to gauge your level of interest, as the registration deadline is just a few weeks away.

There are a lot of reasons this game is important, not least of which is that it will prove a national level woodsball event is tenable! I see you guys have small games posted on here pretty frequently, which is awesome! Now we just need to rally all the people that would attend the smaller games and get them to come together under a national level event and prove that there's interest.

I know airsofters (and I'm including myself in this) are notorious procrastinators, but don't wait! Start throwing together your squads, get registered ASAP, and start training/discussing/scheming. It'll be a life changing event, and will take your proficiency through the roof.

Also, don't forget, the Wolverines want a few more players! So please get in contact with either me or Christian Chastain (see above post) if you're interested (which you should be :) )
skiboatm
skiboatm

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next