Airsoft Club at Virginia Tech
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Portable Air Support System

3 posters

Go down

Portable Air Support System  Empty Portable Air Support System

Post  Thomas Doe Sun May 17, 2015 12:19 am

A very fancy name, basically a quadcopter that shoot BBs. Working on this with Kyle, I will work on some aiming mechanics over the summer. For those who really want to know, it's IR laser guided, it follows you and aims at whatever you are aiming. Looking for suggestions on the gun, either something light enough or just a very powerful gear box with custom design receiver to integrate with the quadcopter.

Thomas Doe

Back to top Go down

Portable Air Support System  Empty Re: Portable Air Support System

Post  Seenie Thu May 21, 2015 12:08 am

Whats the total weight you're trying to limit the whole firing mechanism to or is it going to be more trial and error? Also, is this thing gonna be able to rotate freely, or will it be fixed?
Seenie
Seenie

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Doe Sat May 23, 2015 12:26 pm

I am thinking 2 lbs max for the firing part, and i am going to simply strap a small enough aeg on it first, i want to see the stability of it under automatic firing mode.

Thomas Doe

Back to top Go down

Post  KoopaTroopas Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:01 pm

If you're still working on this, I have a completely plastic gearbox from an old walmart gun that should be lightweight enough to fly. It would take some tuning though
KoopaTroopas
KoopaTroopas

Back to top Go down

Post  Seenie Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:16 pm

this video is extremely related:
Seenie
Seenie

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Doe Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:06 pm

KoopaTroopas wrote:If you're still working on this, I have a completely plastic gearbox from an old walmart gun that should be lightweight enough to fly.  It would take some tuning though

That would be great, can you post some pics? Thanks!

Thomas Doe

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Doe Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:09 pm

Seenie wrote:this video is extremely related:

This remind me another thing that I want to know, is this project legal? Very Happy

Thomas Doe

Back to top Go down

Post  Seenie Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:39 pm

It's perfectly legal now, in a couple years though, who knows. So best get going while the going is good.
Seenie
Seenie

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Doe Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:06 pm

Updates:

I abandoned the laser part because I can't find an affordable IR laser that can be picked up by my IR tracking system (apparently it has to be military grade). And I have chosen the gearbox for the job, I am thinking about going full P90 parts, p90 gearbox, hop up unit and magazine. Yes it's still a quite heavy gearbox as it turns out, but it has nothing sticking out like the common M4/m16 gearboxes, and the motor is fixed on the gearbox so I don't have to worried about how to keep the motor in place. I will be using a P90 mid-cap magazine too, it doesn't sticks out like common mags, and I kinda have to use midcaps to balance the gameplay and make everything simple. I will probably use a hexcopter instead of a quadcopter.

Thomas Doe

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Doe Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:13 pm

Right, one more thing, is anyone have an used P90 that you want to get rid of? I can't find the echo1 version p90 gearbox, I only saw a JG version (They could be the same thing, so correct me if I am wrong, I never really know those different brands), and I know JG has a bad reputation in China, well, at least before the gov. banned airsoft, they don't last very well.

Thomas Doe

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down