Airsoft Club at Virginia Tech
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Possibly Looking to Buy a New Weapon

+4
Papa Bear
EthicalSneak
Prophet
Killem
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Possibly Looking to Buy a New Weapon Empty Possibly Looking to Buy a New Weapon

Post  Killem Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:14 pm

As of right now, I technically own 4 weapons:
KJW M9
(Old) CA M4 [Broken, looking at training myself in airsmithing on it]
Some cheap, offbrand crappy AK I got in a trade
KWA M16 (Broken, being Fixed)

I'm considering looking into a new weapon over the summer. Specifically, I'm looking at something more CQB oriented. I think I'm going to turn my M16 into more of a DMR. The AK is just a loaner gun. And my M4 won't be fixed anytime soon.

So I'd like another weapon, that can be used for CQB but that's not limited to CQB. The obvious choice is some M4 variant and I am strongly considering it but I'd like to look at other weapons. AR's get old after awhile. Specifically, I'm looking at MP5's right now. But I'm open to suggestions. Here's my list of criteria:

CQB Capable but not limited
Electric
Has MidCap magazines available (Ex: M4, MP5, AK, etc)
Alternately, has box mags
Below $500, preferable below $350
Nothing with an exotic gearbox that would be difficult to work with
Preferably sold by ASGI, that's where I do most shopping but I'm open to other options.

I know that's some weird criteria, but oh well. So, do you all have any suggestions? Any thoughts? Do I need to be more specific? Anything will help.

Thank you. - Kenny
Killem
Killem

Back to top Go down

Possibly Looking to Buy a New Weapon Empty Re: Possibly Looking to Buy a New Weapon

Post  Prophet Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:31 pm

I think the F2000 is a great CQB candidate and the gearbox is different but very easy to take apart. (modified ver 6 like p90). I would recommend a mosfet though as the trigger contacts have a lot of resistance to do the 2 stage trigger. Adding a mosfet will up the rof from 12-14 to 20ish without any other upgrades. Accuracy is good out of the box and you can use your m4 mags that you already have.
Prophet
Prophet

Back to top Go down

Possibly Looking to Buy a New Weapon Empty Re: Possibly Looking to Buy a New Weapon

Post  Killem Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:29 pm

I like the sound of that. Which brand are you referring to? Is it G&G that makes it?
Killem
Killem

Back to top Go down

Post  Prophet Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:12 pm

Yeah G&G makes a solid F2000, the JLS version is not as good. There is a problem with some midcaps, you just have to file down either the mags or the screw protrusion on the gearbox and you are good to go. Fits all Hicaps and midcaps that have the short screw housing next to the feed hole.

I have one I have been meaning to fix up. You are free to try it out. Should have it done within a couple weeks.
Prophet
Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post  EthicalSneak Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:37 pm

Prophet wrote:Yeah G&G makes a solid F2000, the JLS version is not as good. There is a problem with some midcaps, you just have to file down either the mags or the screw protrusion on the gearbox and you are good to go. Fits all Hicaps and midcaps that have the short screw housing next to the feed hole.

I have one I have been meaning to fix up. You are free to try it out. Should have it done within a couple weeks.

Having just gotten rid of two of them, the JLS one is really a piece of junk. It's pretty clearly based on a picture of an F2000, not from someone who's ever actually seen one. The G&G ones are much nicer.

I also have a CYMA MP5-J that I've been trying to get rid of, but it looks like you're in the market for a new gun. Still, you could try it out if you like and see what you think about MP5s.
EthicalSneak
EthicalSneak

Back to top Go down

Post  Killem Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:16 pm

Well I'm not excluding used weapons. But I won't be near Blacksburg till the fall. Still, if I haven't bought anything by then, I'll at least try them out. I'm probably going to make a trip to the new ASGI store though and buy directly from them rather than ordering online.

Also, do you all have recommendations on learning how to repair your own guns? Like I said, I have a broken M4 I want to repair myself.
Killem
Killem

Back to top Go down

Post  Prophet Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:20 pm

Become a member on Airsoftmechanics, and lurk and read and lurk and read. Some of us may be able to help also if you post pics and describe the issues.
Prophet
Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post  Killem Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:18 pm

Registering now. Thank you! I think I'm going to put together a list of possible weapons and then see what you all think.

EDIT: Just got some VFC weapons recommended. Does anyone here have some experience with VFC rifles? Any thoughts?

Specifically, I'm looking at the 416, PDW, SCAR, as well as M4 variants.
Killem
Killem

Back to top Go down

Post  Killem Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:57 pm

After looking at this as well as reading reviews, I'm highly impressed by VFC in general but specifically the VFC HK416. Has anyone on here ever had experience with one? Does anyone know if it will take standard M4 mags, specifically, MAG M4 MidCaps?

I'm also considering the VFC SR16 ,

VFC M4 Tactical,

and the VFC M4 (Standard and Commando)

EDIT: Forgot the VFC SCAR-L

Are the internals pretty much the same on all these? And would you recommend replacing the Hop-Up and putting a TBB in?
Killem
Killem

Back to top Go down

Post  Papa Bear Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:02 pm

Stay away from the e series and sr16 their internals are junk. I've had two of their 416s some of the vest m4s I've used and yes they take m4 mags.
Papa Bear
Papa Bear

Back to top Go down

Post  Killem Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:58 pm

Do you think the 416 needs a new hop-up and TBB or is it good out of the box? Also, where is the battery stored and what do you recommend?
Killem
Killem

Back to top Go down

Post  Papa Bear Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:53 pm

Battery goes in the crane stock I'd recommend a 7.4 turnigy nano tech lipo nunchuck style. I've always found the hop and barrel to be fine out of the box, you could r hop it but its not neccesary especially if you are going to use it for cqc.
Papa Bear
Papa Bear

Back to top Go down

Post  Killem Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:27 pm

Well I do intend to use it for CQB but also have it as a field ready rifle. I might go ahead and look into a TBB and Hop-up. If I did, do you all have recommendations? Brands and whatnot.

Also, do you think the 416 needs a Lipo? I've had no experience with them and would rather avoid them if possible. Would a 9.6v standard battery be fine?

EDIT: I know you said you weren't a fan of the M4's but what about the SCAR? I almost like the SCAR better than the 416 but at the same time it may not be as good for CQB. Thoughts?
Killem
Killem

Back to top Go down

Post  Prophet Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:01 pm

Stay away from the scars, they are prolematic to work with compared to an m4. The 416s are decent as others have said, but any VF will need the piston and gears upgraded if you want them to last. The piston is cheap clear polycarb and as drew can tell you will shatter very easily. The gears are self shimming and not good for any stress level over stock.

You can use a 8.4 but I really don't recommend them. 7.4V lipos are relatively benign and won't require a MOSFET but I still recommend one. But they are cheap and high capacity batteries. You can find them for 10 bucks shipped online. Trigger response is great with a lipo, none of that winding up thing. Even Greg who was super resistant to getting a lipo has changed his tune and gone with 7.4s. And is very glad he did.
Prophet
Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post  Papa Bear Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:19 pm

Everything he said is true. The 7.4s are great as an anti lipo guy I got converted finally those 7.4s will serve you well.
Papa Bear
Papa Bear

Back to top Go down

Post  MADCOMPUTERGUY Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:11 pm

I have a VFC E series m16 and so far it's doing good. The externals are great which is really why people buy VFC's. Now I don't go and rework everything in a gun like most of ACVT does Razz so it's going to last me longer stock. The only thing I want to work with is the hopup. It's the clear plastic one which I don't mind because it lets me see what I'm doing.

I have used MAG mids in mine and they feed perfectly. Stay away from the mid cap they give you, the one I got with the gun is crap. 
MADCOMPUTERGUY
MADCOMPUTERGUY

Back to top Go down

Post  Killem Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:15 pm

Thank you guys for all the opinions and suggestions. I'm keeping all my options open right now.

Thoughts at the G&G HK MP5? I do really like the MP5, plus I got to hold this one and it just felt solid. Decent for field work, good for CQB. Thoughts?
http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?cPath=139_408_421&products_id=7081
Killem
Killem

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Decision Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:07 pm

I just started as Tech at the new GI store in Richmond. Were you the guy that came in at the last 5 minutes when we lost power with the M4 to fix?

Anyway, come by and check out the VFC 416. My personal one is currently in the store and 3 of us own them there. You need specific batteries to fit the stock. The turnigy ones will fit the 417 but not the 416. They are just a tiny bit too big. I run long stick Lipos in them. They are fine on Lipos. No need for new hop up at all. Works great out of the box.

On another note, I have worked on 3 scars. I hated working on all of them. I have one on the bench to start working on tomorrow with a slew of issues. Just avoid. Too many proprietary parts.
Bad Decision
Bad Decision
Shifty Little Bastard

Back to top Go down

Post  Killem Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:25 pm

Wait, the ASGI East Store now has a full time Tech? Dangit! I already turned my KWA M16 into the Airsoft CQB Store to be repaired. That said, I do intend to come to the store and compare all the different weapons I'm considering. Just curious, do you all do test fires? So I could see a performance difference? I doubt it but thought I'd ask.

Killem
Killem

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Decision Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:11 pm

Yeah, I just fixed up a guys A&K ACR today and let him test it out for himself. We have our own indoor range and 2 chronos.
Bad Decision
Bad Decision
Shifty Little Bastard

Back to top Go down

Post  itsahak Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:37 pm

Killem wrote: I already turned my KWA M16 into the Airsoft CQB Store to be repaired.

Ugh. that place has fallen so far down hill I'd be surprised if you got your weapon back in fixed condition...
itsahak
itsahak

http://www.theedgeforlife.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Killem Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:45 am

Well, if I don't hear from them by July 10th I might just go up and get my gun back. We'll see.
Killem
Killem

Back to top Go down

Post  Killem Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:23 pm

I'm pretty well set on the VFC 416 right now. I'm headed out to ASGI East on Saturday to look at it.

My question is, what battery might you recommend? I've been told to get a lipo for it. What would you recommend? I'm considering the 416 and the 416c and I'm not sure what lipo would fit well in the PEQ box.
Killem
Killem

Back to top Go down

Post  Oden Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:45 pm

If you get lipos get a turnigy nano tech lipo (7.4 is perfect).  also, TURnigy not TENergy (easily mixed up).  I wouldn't buy them from an airsoft retailer, they'll charge you an arm and a leg, check RC stores like hobby king

If you measure out the inside of your peq, all lipos usually have the size in the description.  make sure you leave enough space for wires (about .25"~.5")

also, my 2 cents on weapon pick (brand independant) 416 is a fine rifle, about the size of an M4 iirc.  Its great for field work, though CQC leaves a bit to be wanted (P Bear will contest me on this).  The area in front of the pistol grip is just too much in my opinion.

I personally would go for an MP5 platform (specifically MP5A5) if alot of CQC is going to be a factor, but I could be biased (ran one in the field for a long while).  I just find them better for more athletic and rigorous sections of my game.

Bullpups are fine...they can be a wee wonky.  The P90 imo is the best ergonomically, however the mags are a PITA to find cheap.  F2000 I guess is fine, but it suffers from what most bullpups suffer from: uncomfortable armpit reloads.  I wish they would make a mag release closer to the trigger hand for bullpups

Aside from that, I would find a good hop unit.  You don' have to R Hop your gun.  If you can get your hands on a good TM hop, you'll be just fine.  If you can find a decent hop up, and do some basic mods on them (like shimming the arm) you can get pretty consistent shots off.
Oden
Oden

Back to top Go down

Post  Prophet Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:02 pm

Actually I like the mag release on f2000 better than on my m4. It engages almost automatically when you go to grab the mag as your knuckles hit it. Reloading the f2000 has never been a problem for me, even with VN mags. Damn I really need to start playing with that gun again...
Prophet
Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next