Airsoft Club at Virginia Tech
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Airsoft DMR Operator guide

Go down

The Airsoft DMR Operator guide Empty The Airsoft DMR Operator guide

Post  Dragoncaptin Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:19 pm

Copied from VAF

About the Writer:
Slice has zero military experience. Zip, zilch, nada. So do not expect insights into the real-world way of doing things. However, Slice has played airsoft for approximately six years now, and has begun playing solely as a DM in the last 8-12 months. He still regrets every time he shoots someone in the head.

Purpose:
If you're reading this, you're at least marginally interested in acting as a Designated Marksman during a game, unless you're just clicking this topic so that the "new post" icon goes away. The goal of this guide is to focus on two things: your role as a Designated Marksman, and your weapon. Being a DM is not as simple as just having a gun that shoots farther than someone else or that shoots in the 500fps and up bracket. You must maintain the proper mindset as well.

Your Role:
Subtopics: Mindset, Gear Setup

Mindset
As a DM, your mission is not to just go out there and "Shoot the other guy before he shoots me" all day. If you act appropriately, you are a great support element for your team and you alone can make a difference between accomplishing the objective successfully or failing miserably. If you're out lone-wolfing it, or sitting underneath a bush in a $200 ghillie suit you bought online waiting for that perfect shot, you're doing nothing to help your team and really, you may as well just not show up that day.

The most important thing to be as a DM is mobile. If you're an effective DM, your services are going to constantly be requested, which may result in you traversing the distance between flanks numerous times. If you're not mentally (or physically, which will be covered next) prepared for this, you don't want to be a DM. You must be ready to assist your team anytime they become bogged down anywhere. With your extended reach and the consistency of your weapon, you can help tag a problem enemy and directly cause a breakthrough. This is another reason for remaining mobile: if your help causes that last problem defender to fall and clears the way for the squad to advance, you've got to be ready to charge forward with them and take advantage of this BEFORE the enemy can shore up their defenses. Not everything is sunshine and roses, however; as a DM, your weapon should be semi-only. This means if the enemy comes after you in force, you've got to bug out and live to fight another day. So be ready to spend a lot of time running, for any number of reasons.

You're not going to go out there and rack up hundreds of kills in a day. Don't be expecting to come home with the highest K:D ratio of anyone, leave that at home for when you play CoD. Instead, your goal should be to get the most effective kills. This means, rather than shooting the guy that you know your squadmates can also shoot, look for the hard-to-reach guy or the guy causing problems for the team, and eliminate him. If the kill you get leads to your team pushing forward and overrunning your enemy, you've done your job.

Gear Setup:
If you're going for a specific kit, then wear what that calls for, only tailored to a DM role. If you're just out having fun, then here is some advice on what to bring and how to wear it. Again, mobility is key, so focus on that above all else. I suggest either a chest rig or a belt with molle, personally. Both are light, not restrictive to movement, do not interfere with going prone, and still carry everything that you need. Depending on whether you choose to use hicaps or midcaps, and how much you plan on firing in semi-auto, realistically you only need to carry between two and five magazines. Personally, I carry four magazines, and stash a bag of BB's and a speedloader inside a vertically-oriented General Purpose pouch. You can carry water in one of two ways: Either with canteens or water bottles inside pouches, or on a camelbak on your back. I prefer the camelbak route personally, as that leaves me with more real estate on my load-bearing rig. A radio tends to come in handy too: this allows to you receive communications from a squad out of earshot, and allows you to report enemy movements or your own movements.

Beyond ammo, water, and a radio, anything else you carry is up to you. I still suggest traveling light rather than heavy. If you need a bunch of extra stuff due to the requirements of an OP, I suggest putting in a backpack or something you can remove easily in case the !@&% hits the fan.

Your Weapon:

Obviously without a weapon, you cannot be an effective DM. There are three crucial things to remember when choosing/building your Designated Marksman's Rifle:

1. Consistency
2. Range
3. Consistency

You'll notice I mentioned consistency twice. That's because you'll be spending your time on semi-auto. If you can't put multiple BB's in the same spot, you'll not going to make it through brush, leave, and small twigs to the target. Also, if your rifle isn't consistent enough for you to zero your scope to where the BB's go, you're going to miss shots as your BB's go somewhere other than where you put the crosshairs.

Let's talk about how to achieve these necessities. For consistency, there are two areas you should focus on: the hopup/inner barrel assembly, and the piston/cylinder assembly. For the hopup/inner barrel assembly, I suggest a tightbore, somewhere between 450mm and 640mm depending on your weapons platform. The inner diameter should be between 6.01mm and 6.04mm. For reference's sake, my platfrom consists of a 640mm 6.01 tightbore. Experiment with different hopup chambers and hopup buckings to determine which works best with your gun's body and gearbox for the most consistency. Take your time assembling the hopup, as this is the most important part of the platform in my opinion. There are some tricks out there, like wrapping the bucking in dental floss, and some new fancy-shmancy hopups, like the G-hop or the R-hop that supposedly give you excessive range on lower FPS, but if you build your hopup right you won't need them. For the piston/cylinder assembly, make sure the compression here is the best you can possibly get. If you have to seal the cylinder head to the cylinder with small dabs of sealant, do it. You want ALL the air consistently going out through the air nozzle rather than losing it to leaks.

I won't go in-depth into the internal construction of your gearbox. Most of that is personal preference. I DO suggest that you shoot somewhere around 500fps, and run on semi-automatic, however that's not necessary and if your hopup is done properly you can get by with closer to 450fps. I also suggest either a LiPo or a mosfet (or both) to help improve trigger response, especially due to the amount of time you'll be spending on semi-auto.

As far as the external setup of your weapon goes, this is also very personal-preference oriented. Again, if you're building a specific kit, build the externals to match that kit and you're done. If you're just doing this for fun, though, I have some suggestions. Obviously you'll need a long enough outer barrel to house whatever inner barrel you choose. If this requires outer barrel and a suppressor, then go for it. However, make sure the suppressor does not extend too far beyond the inner barrel, or you'll be pinging BB's off the end of the suppressor (or the inside of the suppressor) making it useless. Depending on your weapon, you may want a rail system. This allows you to add a vertical foregrip to make it easier to carry the rifle, a rail-mounted bipod for stability if you're firing from a set position, and any other accessories you may like. A necessity is a scope. Realistically the maximum magnification you'll need is about 4x; anything beyond that is excessive and really only useful for scouting. Personal preference on the scope, but make sure you know how to properly zero it, or at least adjust it so that the crosshair is where the BB's go. Paintjob is up to you.

If you've followed this guide, you've now got a weapon that can handle the job, gear designed to assist you, and the mentality to properly play as a Designated Marksman. Just remember...you're gonna be running EVERYWHERE. Get used to that now, and you'll be fine.
Dragoncaptin
Dragoncaptin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum