Airsoft Club at Virginia Tech
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rebuild Project: ICS M16

Go down

Rebuild Project: ICS M16 Empty Rebuild Project: ICS M16

Post  EthicalSneak Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:05 pm

I picked up an ICS M16 earlier this summer to use as a project gun. As recieved it was missing an inner barrel, charging handle, dust cover, a few body bolts and pins, tappet plate, piston, and piston head. In addition, there wasn't a speck of lubrication in the gear box, the pinion was stripped, and the shimming was terrible.

So far I have gotten the upper gearbox finished with excellent compression all the way through the air nozzle (using stock-quality spare parts I had on-hand), re-shimmed the lower gearbox to get it turning nicely (tested with the motor out of my Classic Army), and replaced the missing body screws and pins so that it all sticks together.

In the process I learned about shimming (specifically how NOT to shim a bevel gear and what happens when you overdo it). Currently it is not firing. I will diagnose why the gearbox will not pull the piston later this week (hopefully). It is quite possible that the upper and lower gearboxes are not meshed properly, which is a new concept to me having never experimented with split gearboxes before.

Parts still to come: Inner barrel (currently using an M4-length barrel as a 'placeholder' until I acquire a 509mm this fall), motor (the motor it came with is quite old and the pinion doesn't have a hex screw or any other way to remove it. Even though the motor spins, I can't use it until I can either figure out how to remove the pinion or get a new motor all together), and other external aesthetic-type parts.
EthicalSneak
EthicalSneak

Back to top Go down

Rebuild Project: ICS M16 Empty Re: Rebuild Project: ICS M16

Post  Slice Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:43 pm

On some of the motors I believe the pinion gear on the motor is simply press-fit on. NGOB should have a pinion gear puller because that was the fix for one of my guns and we ordered it for him a couple years back I believe.
Slice
Slice
ForumKiller
ForumKiller

Back to top Go down

Post  EthicalSneak Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:20 am

Pretty much finished this, except for an appropriate-length inner barrel and a couple aesthetic springs it now has all the pieces together.
The gearbox cycles well, but BBs only feed every other cycle or so in semi-automatic and even less in full. I suspect the air nozzle is fractions of a millimeter too long and interferes with BBs dropping in place when it's pulled back.

Question: File down the air nozzle, or find a way to pull the tappet back further?
EthicalSneak
EthicalSneak

Back to top Go down

Post  Oden Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:29 pm

try a delayer/sector clip, attempting to pull the tappet plate back too far will result in it snapping due to not being about to pass the cylinder head
Oden
Oden

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum