Airsoft Club at Virginia Tech
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Equipment and Lessons Learned

+10
Slice
Breaker
Prophet
Cleaver
Bad Decision
Dragoncaptin
Maffyx
Papa Bear
Church
ACVT-Admin
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Equipment and Lessons Learned - Page 2 Empty Re: Equipment and Lessons Learned

Post  Maffyx Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:18 pm

There really isn't a staging area, we staged out of our tents/cars where we camped. There are respawns so I guess if you wanted to leave something there, maybe a duffel bag or something.

Maffyx

Back to top Go down

Post  GckMntr Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:02 am

Keep it up and I WILL wear my ACU infantry impression. Come at me.

Truthfully, if you don't have Multicam I would not buy it for this OP. I wore Multicam for part of the OP last year because I had it and it fit the uniform requirement. I'll probably do it again this year for the same reasons. However, I did not think it was all that effective at the AO as far as camouflaging went. DCUs will be just as effective (i.e. limited) and cost way less. Just my two cents on Multicam.

GckMntr

Back to top Go down

Post  EthicalSneak Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:25 am

The only reason I'm tempted to shop for some low-cost Multicam for this OP is to fit the 'VTAC Uniform' thing. It'd be pretty sweet to have the whole club identifiable by uniform within the unit. That said, I don't know how many other people will be wearing Multicam. In terms of usefulness, Multicam will definitely be better than ACU, but I'm not sure it'll out-perform my good ol' Desert Tigers. Even if there's a lot of greenage.
EthicalSneak
EthicalSneak

Back to top Go down

Post  Cleaver Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:12 pm

I was in a similar dilemma last year as I did not own a "tan" base uniform. My reasoning behind buying MultiCam over DCUs is that I would never wear DCUs in VTAC's local AOs. MultiCam actually sort of works around these parts, so I decided to spend more with the reasoning that I would still use the camo in Blacksubrg. Just my $.02
Cleaver
Cleaver

Back to top Go down

Post  ACVT-Admin Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:57 pm

That's my reasoning too. I'd make the permanent switch to multicam to use for VTAC and Fulda. I just need to get the switch going. While the ACU plus a loud belching M249 would be the ultimate distraction, I also want to score some points and be more useful than a piece of bait. tongue EDIT: just listed my entire ACU kit on ASF. I hope I can make this switch quickly enough without killing my bank account.

Drew, I'd like to discuss how to get a multicam bdu set for cheap. I could care less if it's authentic or real. As long as it's close enough. Pouches I'll obtain on my next order (which will be soon). I may talk to you about a vest too.

How's the parking at the field? You all know how anal I am about people respecting my car. Are there teenagers and little kiddies fooling around and shooting in the parking lot? Are there defined spaces or is it "find-a-spot-free-for-all" style?

We can figure this out closer to the actual play date, but if anyone wants in on a hotel room, let me know whenever. They're pretty cheap for decent accommodations. If I get 1 person to split with me, it would be the same cost as buying the tent/sleeping bag/supplies.

Also, did anyone experience or heard about theft being a problem? I'll leave my stuff in my car for sure, but I want to know what things I would have to lug with me, what things I'd leave in my car, etc.

Is there cell phone signal on the field? Specifically Verizon service. If not, I may as well leave my phone in my car too.
ACVT-Admin
ACVT-Admin

https://acvt.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Decision Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:37 pm

I have a chest rig in multicam... but not for a 249.
Bad Decision
Bad Decision
Shifty Little Bastard

Back to top Go down

Post  Papa Bear Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:51 pm

He doesnt really need a 249 chest rig tbh. A 556 one fill with bottles of bbs works great and is easier to reload that way than to change the whole mag at least in my experience as a saw gunner
Papa Bear
Papa Bear

Back to top Go down

Post  ACVT-Admin Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:55 pm

If I can find another box mag at a very cheap price, I'd get a second one and get the appropriate pouch for that. But for the moment, I will be going with just more ammo bags. I may use M4 high-caps since the M249 can use M4 magazines in lieu of box mags.
ACVT-Admin
ACVT-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Papa Bear Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:57 pm

The bag of bbs is a good idea very effective the m4 hicaps can be finicky in an a&k saw justa heads up
Papa Bear
Papa Bear

Back to top Go down

Post  Slice Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:09 pm

Does gear have to match camo?
Slice
Slice
ForumKiller
ForumKiller

Back to top Go down

Post  ACVT-Admin Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:10 pm

I'm also planning on being the resupply go-tp guy for Fulda, like I did for the last op I went to. I'll carry the extra ammo and propane as well as the speedy reload tools to help teammates during combat.

To Jesse: Yes, I prefer my gear to match my camo. My personal style is to match everything to have a clean uniform look. My OCD brain hates mismatched colors. Mad I'm shopping around and the lowest I can find for multicam seems to be $90 or so for the full top and bottom.
ACVT-Admin
ACVT-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cleaver Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:03 pm

I believe there was cell service. I remember checking facebook and stuff. Parking was basically in a big open field. Honestly there weren't a whole ton of "kids", it seemed most were at least 17. Though the entire time you'll be by your car or on the field, just like everyone else. No one in VTAC had a theft issue, but with 800+ people anything can happen. I think I locked my car and took my keys on the field with me.

Jesse, I'm not sure if you were asking Andrew or the general populace about gear matching. I think it's gotta be close. Wearing a green helmet / shemagh / baclava while on the Tan team would probably be disallowed. Rig could probably have SOME green, but would need to be primarily tan to avoid confusion.
Cleaver
Cleaver

Back to top Go down

Post  Papa Bear Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:33 pm

Rig can be green kaleb wore a green plate carrier last time
Papa Bear
Papa Bear

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Decision Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:46 pm

Andrew, we left stuff at spawns for reloads and everything and nothing got touched or bothered. You dont have to run yourself raggad carrying every lit thing. We can do that ourselves. Just focus on carrying what you need and work with the people around you and everything will be fine. Peeps die a lot.
Bad Decision
Bad Decision
Shifty Little Bastard

Back to top Go down

Post  Cleaver Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:53 am

Yeah, with 800 people there is very little sneaking. You're basically always getting shot at, which means you'll likely die a lot.

Also, I do remember that Drew left his Milkor right outside the DZ, like, ALL day on the first day and no one touched it.
Cleaver
Cleaver

Back to top Go down

Post  nickrowe Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:17 pm

Hey guys Nick here haven't played with you guys in a while because of having to drop airsoft because of school, clubs, and a job and it wouldn't fit in my schedule. But now I got back in it this summer playing at Ballahack and I am interested in the joining this event. I have pretty much everything except the BDUs and a hydration carrier. I have a Khaki RRV vest so I am thinking of going with multicam. Like NGOB stated I am looking for a pretty low price. Would it be ok at the event to roll just Multicam pants with a tshirt and the rig over it (this is how I usually play)? For the night game I have a light colored jacket that I usually wear and then wear my Khaki vest over it.

I have not signed up yet for it but I am very interested. I would probably just grab my sleeping bag and sleep in my car. Seats fold down and surprisingly comfortable sleep Very Happy

nickrowe

Back to top Go down

Post  Dutch Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:21 pm

you should be fine, just make sure the t shirt is a light/tan color. If you wanted to go really cheap you could always find cheap DCUs. For this event we're going on the tan side, so any tan based camo would be fine, we don't all have to be matching.
Dutch
Dutch
Gearmosexual

Back to top Go down

Post  Papa Bear Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:23 pm

I think a tshirt (as long as its tan) and mc pants are fine
Papa Bear
Papa Bear

Back to top Go down

Post  nickrowe Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:26 pm

Well I was thinking of switching over to multicam anyway so this would be a good reason. Ill probably just get either some 5.11 pants or TruSpec response pants in Multicam

Something like these

nickrowe

Back to top Go down

Post  Papa Bear Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:48 pm

Ive ran both either are fine however i do like the 5.11 better they are a little more durable
Papa Bear
Papa Bear

Back to top Go down

Post  Slice Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:54 pm

Holy shit Nick's alive!
Slice
Slice
ForumKiller
ForumKiller

Back to top Go down

Post  nickrowe Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:09 pm

I know right Very Happy. End of sophmore year life hit me like a ton of bricks and I had to get priorities. Internship at a law office+regular paying job=no free time ever so I gave up airsoft. But this summer I promised myself to get back into airsoft and I did. Got a nice kit put together too. Sold off all my Russian gear and guns though D:. But yeah if the 5.11 pants are more durable I think they are worth the extra $$$. Wont be back at my apratment till the 22nd but looking forward to playing airsoft with you guys again.

nickrowe

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Decision Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:13 pm

OMG PONIES, NICK!!
Bad Decision
Bad Decision
Shifty Little Bastard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content