Airsoft Club at Virginia Tech
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New to Airsoft, any advice?

+7
ACVT-Admin
Rexer
Slice
Dragoncaptin
EthicalSneak
itsahak
MissBrook92
11 posters

Go down

New to Airsoft, any advice? Empty New to Airsoft, any advice?

Post  MissBrook92 Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:35 pm

I've never played airsoft before. I've shot many different guns and have always wanted to start playing airsoft, but never had the chance. Kind of looking for someone to take me under their wing and show me the ropes, so I can understand all the rules and get the hang of it. I love that it is tactical and like a war simulation, because I'm really into those type of things. Thanks!! Smile

MissBrook92

https://www.facebook.com/brook.kirk.1

Back to top Go down

New to Airsoft, any advice? Empty Re: New to Airsoft, any advice?

Post  itsahak Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:44 pm

You're in the right place! I'd suggest you start with a replica. Don't go all out and but a top of the line one! Get one of the clones first. A JG/Echo 1, DBoys, etc. And I suggest you start with an M16/M4 variant.

My reasoning is this. If you find you don't like the game,, you haven't spent $350+ on a replica. And as the M16/M4 variants' are the most plentiful, they are also one of the easiest to sell if you don't like it...

Good luck and enjoy!!!!
itsahak
itsahak

http://www.theedgeforlife.com

Back to top Go down

Post  EthicalSneak Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:47 pm

Nice to meet you Brook!
You've come to the right place to learn. All the guys are free with advice and willing to help new people get involved. I'd definitely recommend coming out whenever you can and meeting some of us live and in-person, if you're free tonight I know a bunch of the guys are going to Mike's Grill for the official unofficial Club Weekday Dinner.

We jut started doing a mentoring thing at our weekly games for new players, if you come out you'll be assigned to another player as your mentor for the day.

Also, I know a number of guys in the club have guns they're willing to loan out for new players to try, and some of us even have guns for sale at a good price.
EthicalSneak
EthicalSneak

Back to top Go down

Post  Dragoncaptin Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:57 pm

Woot new people!!! First, Post and introduction (which you kinda already did but ya know formality blah blah blah). Second, Come out to a game! Post up in the game thread and let us know your coming/need to borrow a gun and someone will make sure they have a spare for you to use that day. Then, as keith said we do a little buddy system for people the first time they come out so they aren't alone and get lost or simply dont have fun cuz they dont know whats going on. After that its all on you. Get yourself a gun and keep coming out. We have games every week so just join us when you dont have to much work and well be there...in the woods...shooting each other.
Dragoncaptin
Dragoncaptin

Back to top Go down

Post  Slice Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:54 pm

'Hak nailed it. Cheap M4/M16 platform (parts are plentiful and the club tech Andrew just LOVES taking food to work on guns if it breaks), get some $5 camo from a surplus store or just wear clothes you don't mind wrecking, get some eye protection, and be ready to be exhausted!
Slice
Slice
ForumKiller
ForumKiller

Back to top Go down

Post  Rexer Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:06 pm

Most people wear goggles or shooting glasses for eye protection, but if you want to make sure you don't chip a tooth, then a paintball mask is a good choice.
Rexer
Rexer

Back to top Go down

Post  MissBrook92 Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:36 pm

I'm wanting to get a SMG, like an MP7.

MissBrook92

Back to top Go down

Post  Rexer Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:46 pm

Check out the P90, it is the easiest gun to disassemble, and the barrel length is pretty long for the size of the gun. If you want to eventually be able to tinker around in the gearbox, then it is a great way to start learning.
Rexer
Rexer

Back to top Go down

Post  EthicalSneak Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:55 pm

Or get a stubby M4. Razz But I just like M4s.

A few of the guys have owned various MP7s, I'm sure they could give you advice on brands and such.

I'd recommend playing a few times and trying different guns before you make your first choice. When I first started I really wanted an M14, but after trying a few guns I fell in love with AR-15 base rifles (Partially because parts are so cheap and readily available).
EthicalSneak
EthicalSneak

Back to top Go down

Post  MissBrook92 Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:08 pm

oh yeah ill try out the p90, i used that gun so much in mw3!! haha, not that that makes any difference

MissBrook92

Back to top Go down

Post  Slice Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:22 pm

There are a lot of options for the MP7. There's a gas one which gives you the blowback/kick feel, and electric ones that run a bit more reliably. You'll have better luck putting extra MP7 magazines into pouches (I believe Drew can give you more intel on that) and overall it's a good little gun. The P90, on the otherhand, is only available in electric version, but has one of the sturdiest airsoft gearbox designs in existence. The mags are large and difficult to easily carry a great quantity of, but the hicaps are the best design in airsoft, once you wind them they fire until empty.

I'd say pick a gun model you like and stick with it, but my advice rings hollow because I've owned just about everything at some point or another. If you get hooked on the sport you'll find yourself wanting to test EVERYTHING. So get what you want first, and go from there.
Slice
Slice
ForumKiller
ForumKiller

Back to top Go down

Post  Rexer Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:41 pm

Gas guns are fun to shoot, but your main gun should definitely be electric (AEG). Having 50 rounds per mag (gas) while everyone else has ~300 (AEG) is a huge disadvantage.
Rexer
Rexer

Back to top Go down

Post  ACVT-Admin Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:52 pm

Welcome to the club! I'm the club general tech, Andrew. You will not find a nicer bunch of people here to help you get started. Best way has already been mentioned: to come out and mingle, play, and try your first game out! Our social events are usually informative on the latest tech, and you get to know others. I am hosting an equipment tech event this Saturday, so that could be your first real chance to meet and greet ACVT members.

Again, welcome to the club, and hope you enjoy what we have to offer!

Edit: lol, just noticed Jesse mentioned I like teching for food. I promise I'm not some fat#$@ or something. I just like food/cooking cheers
ACVT-Admin
ACVT-Admin

https://acvt.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Papa Bear Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:47 am

The kwa gas mp7 is really reliable, I love mine. However once it drops below 60 degrees it will be too cold for the gas.
Papa Bear
Papa Bear

Back to top Go down

Post  Oden Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:35 am

taking this from another perspective, think about what you might be more comfortable with, most SMGs in the market someone here has.

if you have the budget go for the MP7 (the gas one is amazing). It's small compact, very nice ergonomics and simple.

I would honestly say an MP5A5 or MP5SD5 is the best beginner gun to start off with (other than the MP5k) due to it's lightweight body, sliding stock, and thin easy to reload magazines. They also can be had for cheap (gun, mags, accessories).

P90 is a great gun, I wouldn't reccomend it for beginners however. While you probably don't need to reload it, and when you do, it's not as intuitive as other guns. Mags are also probably longer than your stomach area (unless you're super tall like Slice or Rexer) so storing them are also a slight problem unless you mount magazines on a cumberbund, belt, or dropleg. Otherwise it's a very comfortable gun, operates easily (other than reloading), and fairly balanced weight wise (heavier than the other two mentioned prior, but actually feels better in hand)

Other guns to quickly mention:

AKS-74U / AK Beta Spetz - would not reccomend for newer players; bad ergonomics, front heavy, thick and long magazines that get in the way (shorty mags don't fit pouches nicely)

M4 PDW - much larger than other weapons you might look at; decent ergonomics, simple straight foreward operation, very good assortment of support and parts

PP19 Bizon - would not reccomend for newer players; likely to be front heavy (due to magazine), little to no support / parts due to just being released (minus gearbox stuff)

Automatic Electric Pistols / AEPs (G18s, scorpians, MAC10s, Uzi, MP7) - too hard to find parts/support for these now. Only option is TM brand for most of them (which probably wont break other than falling on it)
Oden
Oden

Back to top Go down

Post  MissBrook92 Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:32 pm

Thank you guys! I definitely have a lot to think about. Also, I am a woman, so what do I wear to games? I saw some pictures and I think I have the gist of it. Don't want to over dress though haha. And do you all know any good websites for me to get gear from? Thanks again!! You all are very nice.
-Brook

MissBrook92

Back to top Go down

Post  Prophet Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:07 pm

Elliots in Radford has some cheap gear to buy. They have Multicam there , Marpat (marine pattern brown and green digital) and regular woodland camo. Dont go anywhere near the Grey colored digital (ACU). It is terrible in the woods! Find something a little loose but something that still fits. We have extra rigs to hold ammo and stuff like that so you can try something before deciding on that. Good hiking bots are a plus. It is easy to turn an ankle. In a pinch some dark earthy colored pants and a long sleeve shirt will also work if you just wanna come out and play. But don't wear anything you wouldn't want damaged, it is easy to tear or scratch things out at the field. Some lightweight gloves may work as well. You will need eye protection, and a gun but as others have said just post that you need to borrow some things on your first few times out. Then if you decide to play more it will be time to invest in a gun. But for the first few times out I am sure we can accomodate your needs.

So in short, I would wear some dark colored clothing that is not too thin, you want some protection from bb hits. If you have camo or end up buying some then all the much better but you dont need that to start if you dont want to. Blue jeans work just fine if they are comfortable loose fitting ones.
Prophet
Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post  Cleaver Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:36 pm

MissBrook92 wrote:Don't want to over dress though haha.

I promise you, such a feat is impossible.

Everything's basically been covered, I just want to stress to choose durable clothing. Between twigs and branches and briers there are lots of things to snag on. The more durable the clothing you choose, the greater chance you'll prevent cuts and scrapes from pointy things penetrating through clothing. Luckily the temperature is dropping, so thicker clothing no longer poses as much of a threat to overheating.

Cleaver
Cleaver

Back to top Go down

Post  Oden Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:10 pm

Cleaver wrote:
MissBrook92 wrote:Don't want to over dress though haha.

I promise you, such a feat is impossible.

Max has done it, went to his first nam game on the USGI side with a Flak jacket and a steel pot....ended it with a white t shirt and OD pants.

I would have to say start off with something you'd probably use outside of airsoft

Tops (most available at Walmart or Dick's Sporting Goods):
Dickie's Work shirts (good colors, good durability)
Under Armor Tactical long sleeves (they come in a nice OD and also tan)
Under Armor Coldgear (black isn't too bad, just be sensible about other colors)

Pants (most available at Walmart)
Jeans (preferably a dark blue / indigo dye)
Wrangler also offers some work pants that are made of cotton rip stop
I wouldn't advise wearing synthetics for pants

Socks
Athletic Tube Socks are pretty much the only thing you want to be wearing (I personally like black, but I usually wear white ones)

Shoes
I would suggest some mid / high top boots
if you don't like mid / high tops be sure to wear something with a SOFT sole, this helps you feel the ground better and avoid rolling your ankles. (the only shoe style I'd recommend are minimalist and cross trainer shoes)

Gloves
Mechanix are your best bet
Wells Lemont are a nice second
leather "biker" gloves work wonderfully...I know alot of clinics / hospitals sell them for cheap because people use them for wheel chairs too

Eye Pro:
Paint ball masks are great for beginners
If you get shooting glasses be sure to also pick up a retention band

As you get more involved in the sport you should probably get a few Goretex products (Boots especially, jackets for colder days)
Camoflauge and Rigs are a big investment, you should wait and figure out what your style of play is before you jump into that. Until then I'm sure someone can let you borrow a rig.
Oden
Oden

Back to top Go down

Post  Slice Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:44 pm

If you check out the pictures on the club page, you'll see we've had members wearing as little as a t-shirt and long pants to heavy gear, helmets, camouflage, etc. So really it's what you feel like you can move and still be protected in.

Priority number 1 will be GOOD eye protection - This means ANSI-rated or better (such as Mil-Spec). Easiest option is a paintball mask. I originally had one and then cut the goggles out of the mask when I got fed up with it. Some people prefer shooting glasses due to goggles fogging up; it's really up to you.

Priority number 2 is a GOOD pair of footwear - preferably boots, but some people prefer less ankle protection, some prefer more. I suggest at the least some hiking boots, but you can really use anything you feel comfortable in.

Priority number 3 is showing up to a game - odds are anything you need people are willing to loan you. But the sooner you get your own stuff the better, obviously.
Slice
Slice
ForumKiller
ForumKiller

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down