Airsoft Club at Virginia Tech
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cool Combat: Winston-Salem, NC

5 posters

Go down

Cool Combat: Winston-Salem, NC Empty Cool Combat: Winston-Salem, NC

Post  Cleaver Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:29 am

So I know ACVT has a ridiculously full plate right now, but I figured I'd at least get some convo going on this. Umbra, one of the TAG brothers as well as recon at Sanctuary, wrote a very positive review about this new CQB Facility on the NC Airsoft Forums. I know we've been talking about doing CQB for years, with the only real option being AirsoftCQB (which has a bit of a lukewarm reputation). At a bit over 2 hours away, Cool Combat would be a reasonable possibility should we decide to try to go to a legit CQB facility one weekend.

Text quoted from Umbra:

After playing airsoft for over 12 years, it's hard to find a unique experience, but I can gladly say that I found one at Cool Combat's new indoor facility. My expectations were high but they were exceeded after just walking in the front door. The building is huge from the outside and even bigger from the inside. There is plenty of parking and a large staging area with new synthetic picnic tables, water fountains, bathrooms, a legit check in desk, and even Wifi internet! Even though there isn't A/C, it still beats playing under the blazing sun, and the huge fans were relieving enough.

I took a self tour of the gigantic rooms and thought I had seen everything. I came back describing how awesome it was and Markus pointed out that I hadn't even seen the whole thing. I went back out and discovered another 12,000 square feet of playing area O_o There are five major playing areas, all connected by at least one large choke point. The playing areas are big enough to have individual games going on simultaneously. They are FULL of small "huts", bunkers, props, and other obstacles to simulate an urban environment. There is enough variation in the layout to provide an unpredictable and asymmetric arena. There are even "1.5 story" buildings to give a 3D environment. Since the building are also mobile, they have the ability to move around and tweak them to enhance or balance the gameplay. There is a PA system for communicating with the entire building and the lights can be turned off partially or fully to simulate different times of the day/night. They have an on-sight retailer that has a decent selection of everything you'd need to keep playing plus more.

I spent the first half of the day observing, filming, and talking to Markus. The second half I played in different game styles. There was the standard force on force elimination and a couple of unique game styles tailored to the arena. One involved everyone dividing into 4~6 man teams and inserting at different times at two insertion points. The objective was to search for a "bomb" and bring it to a designated area. Another game type had players divide into 5~6 man teams and pick one of the five major rooms, with only one team per room. A separate ~10 man team started at one end of the facility and had to fight there way to the end. As defenders died, they became attackers and switched armband colors. All of these game types were action packed and had minimal downtime in between. Markus runs a tight ship and doesn't go on "airsoft time".

The FPS limits where lower than normal, but necessary. I was glad to see a place that really gave the CQB enthusiast an advantage. If you don't already own a CQB gun that shoots <=310 with a .25g BB, then this is more than enough of an excuse to buy one. And who couldn't use more guns? Using the arm bands for team identification was easy and I didn't hear complaints or see a reason not to. The safety kill option might have been abused a bit, but that should change as players learn when it's appropriate to use and how far 5 feet really is. I wore a helmet, cloth face cover, and mouth guard, and that was enough to give me confidence to get close. I would definitely suggest investing time and money into getting some sort of face protection or mouth guard that doesn't hinder you in-game.

I honestly wish I lived closer to Cool Combat, because I would probably go every possible weekend. This experience reminded me of when I first started playing and it was all fast paced, aggressive CQB. The adrenaline-rush-per-minute is a lot higher at an indoor facility than any outdoor field you can find. If you've been thinking of checking out Cool Combat, or haven't seen an indoor airsoft facility yet, then get over there ASAP and start your new addiction. I will have some footage compiled from my trip soon, so you can get a taste of what it's like.

pics link
Cleaver
Cleaver

Back to top Go down

Cool Combat: Winston-Salem, NC Empty Re: Cool Combat: Winston-Salem, NC

Post  Papa Bear Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:05 am

WANT!
Papa Bear
Papa Bear

Back to top Go down

Post  Dragoncaptin Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:21 am

seriously want.
Dragoncaptin
Dragoncaptin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cleaver Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:08 pm

Looking at our schedule, I legitimately think the soonest we could do this (if we wanted to get a group together) would be Nov 10th. There's no VT home game nor competition with Halloween parties. Plus it's about a month after Fulda Gap, which would allow us to have a few home games because seriously, to my count we're traveling 3, possibly 4, out of the next 5 weekends.
Cleaver
Cleaver

Back to top Go down

Post  Dutch Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:19 pm

plus an indoor facility would be nice to play in when we get to the colder months
Dutch
Dutch
Gearmosexual

Back to top Go down

Post  Dragoncaptin Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:00 pm

yea maybe we play this one by ear. maybe it becomes an after christmas break game when its really cold and people stop coming to our home games.
Dragoncaptin
Dragoncaptin

Back to top Go down

Post  Prophet Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:50 pm

ADDED PICS LINK TO OG POST
Prophet
Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content