Airsoft Club at Virginia Tech
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rush (a la Battlefield)

3 posters

Go down

Rush (a la Battlefield) Empty Rush (a la Battlefield)

Post  Cleaver Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:52 am

Since this hasn't ever really been discussed, RUSH MODE!

For the uninitiated, in the Battlefield games there is an assaulting and defending team. The assaulting team has a certain number of lives (or, in this case we'll say time), to blow up 2 weapons caches. After the first 2 are exploded then you move on to the next 2, etc. Defense is infinite, in this case we'll assume we use the "X number of players in DZ" rule.

In our context, this could be as easy as opening 2 boxes. However, I would also like to propose a little twist on the way we've been doing locks. My previous suggestions given the rotary locks have been to post all lock combinations by the objective. This requires players to run through them until one works. Want to draw out the "hacking"? Get a 4-digit lock (the ones that have the number 0-9). Restrict the numbers on that lock to 1-4 (or any 4 digits if you want to make it more confusing...hell...maybe have an objective be to recover intel on what the 4 digits even are). Have no number repeat in a given combination. This provides for 24 possible combinations. It's up to the hacker to work through the combinations until one finally works. If you consider 3 seconds per combination it's a maximum of about 1 minute of hacking time.

It gets trickier (ok...maybe too tricky, but I'll go with it anyway). Say if behind the 2 stations is the final station, the ending condition, if you will...

Say you restrict the possibilities to only odd numbers. This gives you 5 possibilities on a 4 digit lock, non repeating, comes out to be 120 possible combinations. This is a maximum 6 minute hacking time, provided the hacker doesn't mess up. Now say in the initial 2 boxes you hide 2 of the correct numbers in each. Maybe they are even in the correct order (though whether or not they are the first 2 or last 2 is an unknown [12 combinations, 40 sec max]). Maybe they are just adjacent (48 combinations, 2.5 min max, numbers still restricted to one half or the other) What you create is a gamble for the offense. Once you get a bit of intel, do you use your resources to go straight for the final station, or do you secure the second intel for an assured passcode (2 possibilities if in order, 8 if adjacent, 6 and 30 seconds, respectively). This gamble splits the defense as well. Needless to say, communication would be important here.

The objective would be to unlock the end box within a given time limit. (whatsinthebox.avi)

Sorry if that latter bit is a bit confusing, but I'm mostly certain that the math is correct. It may help with balancing. I would recommend for the crazy code-hunting game type that normal rotary locks be used on the containers with the passcodes (with the possible combinations posted nearby).

Or, you know, maybe there's an easier way. I just like the thought of someone desperately trying to remember what combinations they've used and not used while under fire.
Cleaver
Cleaver

Back to top Go down

Rush (a la Battlefield) Empty Re: Rush (a la Battlefield)

Post  Bad Decision Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:58 am

What happens when the "hacker" gets hit? Start over...? This could work for a defusing the bomb style game where you have to get the code in under a time limit or bomb goes boom. I don't know about a fast paced *rush* game, though. I'd want to test it out and see how it goes.
Bad Decision
Bad Decision
Shifty Little Bastard

Back to top Go down

Post  Oden Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:30 am

I could make electronic locks...but they would cost roughly 40~50 each...plus lead time for me learning the language (I'm ultimately going to learn it anyways)

some things I could put into it are:
- Hardware
4 button input (or more...up to you, buttons are relatively cheap iirc)
some kind of display (probably LEDs to keep cost down, iirc they're fairly cheap as well...LCD displays cost like 10~40 depending on size and abilities)
Piezo Buzzers (for armed mode/input validation)
moar LEDs

- Software (tentative, base on current knowledge...but these seem pretty simple)
input lock (1 second intervals for input)
password randimization
arm/disarm states
Oden
Oden

Back to top Go down

Post  Cleaver Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:33 pm

I believe this gametype still has the potential for quick play. Seeking out the combinations is more of a wildcard than anything else; it's an opportunity for some deeper strategic element. If the offense plays it straight, attacks the 2 bases, then hits the end base, they should be able to figure out the final combination in under 30 seconds, which is still about the amount of time to unlock a rotary padlock. It's just that now the first 2 bases act more as secondary objectives. You could almost think of it as the offense always having 2 attack options to split their forces between; same goes for the defense. It prevents 1 base being capped, then a complete onslaught on the only other remaining base.

Also, if the teams are smart they will go through combinations in a logical order. Start at 1-3-5-7, then 1-3-5-9, then 1-3-7-5, etc...(assuming only odd numbers are used). Sure, it's easier if 1 person goes through all the combinations, and it puts pressure on the offense to cover them, but if the hacker dies another person SHOULD be able to come in behind and continue the hack.

The way I see this playing out: The offense would still go after the 2 secondary objectives with the most force. However, if the offense manages to get the codes from 1 base all they need is 1 minute at the end base to "hack" into the box. Granted, that time would be cut to under 30 seconds with both halves of the code, but it ensures that the defense doesn't get lax on covering all bases.

It is also my opinion that with this setup you could make the teams 1:1 even and still have it be completely fair.
Cleaver
Cleaver

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down