Airsoft Club at Virginia Tech
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tentative Invitational Saturday Game for Area Airsofters.

+6
Dutch
Prophet
Oden
Cleaver
Dragoncaptin
Bad Decision
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Tentative Invitational Saturday Game for Area Airsofters. Empty Tentative Invitational Saturday Game for Area Airsofters.

Post  Bad Decision Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:41 pm

It has been stated and peddled around, but I would like to get the ball rolling on this idea.

As we have acquired a new field and there are many players in the area always looking for a new experience, I believe it would suit us well to have a free, invitational game after the new semester has started and all players are back in town for VTAC. The idea is to have a game day much like what occurs at Afton, but tailor everything to the field. It will still be relatively new for all involved including VTAC members, but is perfect for making use of every corner for multiple game types.

After talking with Sean this evening, I think it would be a good idea to set the invitational up so that the first game is the game that gets players familiar with the area they are playing in with designated objectives of a sort that are positioned on a map and teams would have to go out and find while VTAC specific members (as we would have played on the field) would be hunting these teams down.

I would think we could run a multitude of objective based games, and we already have ... I mean, I already have most of the equipment to do so. Some of these game ideas would be:
- Some variation on a bomb game.
- SEAL Team extraction style game.
- Battlefield conquest style game with control points (I have 5).
- The ever wonderful locks game - Eugene... I kinda need those back... and to re-figure out the combinations.

Of course, other game types are always welcome. This is something that I have felt like would be an awesome idea and could create a good community of players that may come out to play more.

Details outside of the airsofting: This is an invitational game. This is also public land. Strict rules will need to be adhered to. We can camp on the land, and we can also stay for as long as we want. However, there is no advertising, no drinking, no drugs, no ... well, no bullshit. It is on us to invite only those who can treat the land and players with respect. Chrono is a must and all weapons will be within limits or players will not be able to use them. We set up this field, those are the rules. We will not endanger people.

Long rant about this and all aside, I want everyone's opinions. I am not primary leadership anymore, but I would be happy to take this puppy on and love it and care for it as well as run the event. But we are a team and work together, there for all opinions and suggestions are to be accepted.

Camping or not is up to the individual but is available. My idea for the day is as follows:
- Game-day briefing including collecting waivers starts at 10:30AM.
- Chrono all players at 11AM.
- Orientation to the field - "game" to start between 11:30-11:45AM.
- Regroup/after-action on terrain/ lunch at 1:00PM.
- Other games to follow beginning at 1:45PM.
- Day ends around 6:00PM or 7:00PM

Please give your thoughts. By the beginning of August I would like the details worked out to have this set in stone. Thanks.

Bad Decision
Bad Decision
Shifty Little Bastard

Back to top Go down

Tentative Invitational Saturday Game for Area Airsofters. Empty Re: Tentative Invitational Saturday Game for Area Airsofters.

Post  Dragoncaptin Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:51 pm

Just on the time window alone that's a long freaking day. And its almost guaranteed to be hotter than the devils ballsack in September. So maybe trying to start earlier would be better. Especially since people can camp and/or crash at VTAC members apartments.

But YES YES YES YES YES!!! Lets do this!!!!
Dragoncaptin
Dragoncaptin

Back to top Go down

Tentative Invitational Saturday Game for Area Airsofters. Empty Re: Tentative Invitational Saturday Game for Area Airsofters.

Post  Cleaver Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:02 am

Game idea quoted below:

I think our developed idea for the lock game would work incredibly well here, maybe with some tweaks. Here's an idea for a mini-scenario:

There are 3 pieces of intel / missile silos / treasure chests (?) spread across the field. They all require passwords to unlock, but for security the passwords for a given site are located at the two other sites. An attacking team must secure the intel (in this case...gas tanks / ammo boxes / Keys maybe) from one of the sites and bring it to another site to activate the satellite uplink / nuclear missile / booty (?).

It's basically the "lock" game modified for attack / defend. But given the varying terrain each base would require different strategies. Maybe put one of the sites in the valley to the left as we walk in. Another in the relatively normal fields to the right. The final one would be in the middle of the thick brush in the back.

Something else to consider: Now that we actually have the space we can begin considering DZ's that are more balanced. The gun range didn't offer a whole ton of space, so often the DZ would be way too close to the objectives. We can fix that now.

Also, I would like to put forth the idea of a BF style Rush gametype. It'd likely use the same mechanics as BF Conquest, just different setup.

Though, of course, if we can get a Conquest gametype ironed out, I think that would be the sickest.

Cleaver
Cleaver

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Decision Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:13 am

we can do rush with locks... OMG!! WE CAN DO RUSH WITH THE LOCKS!! Just to figure out how to formulate it so peeps don't get slaughtered while putting in the combination.
Bad Decision
Bad Decision
Shifty Little Bastard

Back to top Go down

Post  Cleaver Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:56 am

I just did math. You all should go appreciate my math.

I've opened up another discussion on a Rush game type in the appropriate forum category. It's very tricky and kind of complicated, but I actually think it's balanced well, given the game conditions.
Cleaver
Cleaver

Back to top Go down

Post  Oden Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:06 am

if we were to do rush with locks, i would just tape the combination to the lock, aswell as require them to do something to get to the lock...if they get hit they reset the objective. if you think of our beloved videogames, objectives only take like 10 seconds to arm and 5 or so to disarm

Also a great community game is always 2 or 1 flag CTF. PVC pipes come cheap, we might even be able to ask where we get them if they have any trash pipes or something they'd like to donate for a non-profit organization like us.

shame, that we can't even accept donations at these things...we could get alot more out of games/events if we had supplies to make things (like even electronic objectives, which would prolly cost 40~60 bucks a pop)

I also suggest that we do this on fall break weekend, so there is time to prepare the day before. also the weather will be nicer/cooler in general
Oden
Oden

Back to top Go down

Post  Prophet Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:09 am

@Zach I have no problem with you taking the head on this as long as we can get a committee of at least three as it is really more than one person can do well. Other help outside that committee can be assigned as needed. I of course would like to play an active part as well.
Prophet
Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post  Dutch Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:20 pm

zach i also have no problem with you heading it up, but like sean said i would say current leadership be included in the process.
Dutch
Dutch
Gearmosexual

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Decision Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:33 pm

At present i have most of the supplies to put on the games. Mostly i want to work out a date and the time frame as well as to go out and set up the chrono and distance lanes, designate the camp site, find where some games will work best, and assistance with general management of the event. I am all about vtac hosting a few events a semester for area airsofters. Others do it and invite us, so we can do it for them. However, i would really like to have the first right after all students have return and blacksburg is settled, mostly to have an awesome kickoff for the club and our own games.

So please help me find dates and if people who want to help can let me know when they are available we can work on the supplies for the games and work out the actual details for them so that everything will operate smooth.
Bad Decision
Bad Decision
Shifty Little Bastard

Back to top Go down

Post  Prophet Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:37 pm

I agree. If we can get 2 invitationals this semester, one in early sept and one in late sept or early october.
Prophet
Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post  Slice Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:38 pm

Get me a date now so I can make sure I show up. Unless, of course, I'm not invited. No
Slice
Slice
ForumKiller
ForumKiller

Back to top Go down

Post  Dutch Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:55 pm

as far as dates, early-mid september would work in my opinion, would probably be best that we avoid any home football games. That leaves us with Sept. 15th and the 29th as the september dates with away football games. I don't see any other conflicts unless we haven't had the meeting with the ranger guy at that point. I feel like we need to get that done before hand.
Dutch
Dutch
Gearmosexual

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Decision Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:27 pm

So shall we plan for September 15th, then?
Bad Decision
Bad Decision
Shifty Little Bastard

Back to top Go down

Post  Papa Bear Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:41 pm

Zach let me know how i can assist
Papa Bear
Papa Bear

Back to top Go down

Post  Cleaver Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:41 pm

I would second the 15th
Cleaver
Cleaver

Back to top Go down

Post  Prophet Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:44 pm

15th yes
Prophet
Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Decision Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:32 pm

WooT! Sean and Greg, I would like to find some time to actually start working out game details and preparing the materials in the coming weeks. So lets see if we can find some days over the next month to put everything together.
Bad Decision
Bad Decision
Shifty Little Bastard

Back to top Go down

Post  Church Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:26 pm

pumped about this! Always available to help, just give me a shout!
Church
Church

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Decision Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:20 pm

So shall we plan for September 15th, then?
Bad Decision
Bad Decision
Shifty Little Bastard

Back to top Go down

Post  Prophet Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:16 am

Sounds perfect. Just enough time. I can send a request to the ranger service to confirm the date if everyone agrees. Then once we are approved we can do some adverts to the forums and fb pages.

So camping on the 14th starting at 3pm and games till dark on the 15th? I think it is still too littered with debris for night games. bounce
Prophet
Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post  Oden Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:50 am

I would put the invitational one or two weeks after gobblerfest...which we should go to and atleast pass out cards btw
Oden
Oden

Back to top Go down

Post  Cleaver Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:20 pm

GobblerFest is Sept 7th, so this kind of works. However, I'm not really sure if a Day of Games setting would be best for someone's very first game.

On that note, someone still enrolled at VT should check to see if we can get some kind of space at GobblerFest. It's a Friday from 4-8PM. I can attend and represent for that whole time.
Cleaver
Cleaver

Back to top Go down

Post  Prophet Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:12 pm

Is there another person who will play and make it at least four?
Prophet
Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post  EthicalSneak Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:57 pm

Is this still an objective for the club? If so, it looks like the tentative date conflicts with OP Beached Whale in NC. I'd still love to see this happen some time this semester. Also, has any progress been made on Gobblerfest?
EthicalSneak
EthicalSneak

Back to top Go down

Post  Prophet Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:23 pm

Keith, we first have to hand in the packet for team recognition to tech. I am assuming we will do that when Greg and Gavin make it back into town. Then we can see about gobblerfest. As far as the invitational, we may have been thinking too early anyway since we have yet to meet with our liason for the field. We have week to week approval but they said they were too busy ATM.
Prophet
Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next