Airsoft Club at Virginia Tech
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OP Sanctuary CDWC (Taylorsville, NC) July 29th

+3
Dragoncaptin
Cleaver
Dutch
7 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

OP Sanctuary CDWC (Taylorsville, NC) July 29th - Page 2 Empty Re: OP Sanctuary CDWC (Taylorsville, NC) July 29th

Post  Oden Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:43 am

Unsurprisingly I've missed this thread xD, but I am going as an actor~

I would prefer not to ride in the funvee, because I would like to return w/o an electromagnet in my chest...but Greg and Kyle are too badass to let that happen, so a spot would be great!

It would be nice to have a spot to sleep too, of course I'll cede to players playing the next day Smile
Oden
Oden

Back to top Go down

OP Sanctuary CDWC (Taylorsville, NC) July 29th - Page 2 Empty Re: OP Sanctuary CDWC (Taylorsville, NC) July 29th

Post  Prophet Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:53 am

I also have a tent, we should be covered. And I doubt we get a lot of sleep with the night OP and all...
Prophet
Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post  Dutch Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:33 pm

alright let's start to get a list together, i guess kyle and I will be driving, gas money would be greatly appreciated. So who wants to ride with who? Also let's go with everyone sleeping in tents, so should we bring all the tents?

As for food, anyone have anything to cook with? Don't know what everyone else plans on doing, i'd like to not live off jerky and granola bars for a day and a half.

Last edited by Dutch on Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dutch
Dutch
Gearmosexual

Back to top Go down

Post  Cleaver Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:21 pm

This OP is only 1 day. The volume of players here also won't be nearly the size as Fulda, so we shouldn't have to fight too hard for camping / parking space. That said, I think we'll have plenty of time to grab a real meal prior to play (if I recall there was a KFC pretty close to the field).

Otherwise, I'll probably pack my camping stove for Ramen if I need a light snack. I would plan on bringing food for the field, like powerbars or PB&J or something.
Cleaver
Cleaver

Back to top Go down

Post  Church Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:32 pm

Greg...I got shotgun! I have two tents...a 4 man and a 2. I also have the coleman grill that we used for the cook out. To avoid leaving the campground I assume to just eat something light off the grill for dinner that night and breakfast in the morning.

Let me know what is needed!
Church
Church

Back to top Go down

Post  Dragoncaptin Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:18 pm

I kyle's car. Got my 2 man tent i can bring if needed. Also have camping cookware Im willing to share. Its really only good for cooking a single persons food but if you bring a can of like spagetti o's it works just fine. Other than that Id say we need a pack of water bottles and thats about it. Its gonna be hot Id assume like the rest of this month has been.
Dragoncaptin
Dragoncaptin

Back to top Go down

Post  Prophet Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:22 am

Jumping in Greg's ride...
Prophet
Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post  Oden Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:55 am

I will jump in whoever has the least amount of people at the end of this (hopefully it doesn't even out xD....I DON'T WANNA CHOSE)

but I'll prolly bring my camping stove, I'll just go to kroger (or walmart if they don't have it) for some propane/butane mix

I plan on bringing canned goods, I doubt produce will last all that long....maybe a small pot too
Oden
Oden

Back to top Go down

Post  Cleaver Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:43 pm

Looks like the rides are as follows:

Moirmobile of Awesomeness: Kyle, Gavin, Gene
That Other Car: Greg, Kaleb, Sean

<3
Cleaver
Cleaver

Back to top Go down

Post  Prophet Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:03 am

Ok so this week is the big final push prep week for this event. Is there anything we could be missing as far as preparation goes? Do we bring a team cooler and get ice for our hydration bladders?
Prophet
Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post  Dragoncaptin Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:32 pm

I has a large cooler I can bring down with me it we want one. But thats up to yall really i think if we have extra water bottles to refill we should be ok if they aren the coldest in the world.
Dragoncaptin
Dragoncaptin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dutch Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:14 pm

so who wants to volunteer to bring a case of waters? Also have we made a decision on the chiminea?
Dutch
Dutch
Gearmosexual

Back to top Go down

Post  Prophet Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:21 pm

Greg I would think chiminea for Fulda but not here. I imagine that after the night OP we will be too tired for a fire and it will be too hot. That being said, if peeps still want to use it I am game. Everyone should bring gas money and 1-2bucks additional for water. We can have someone pick it upp and be reimbursed or we can get it on the way out of town.
Prophet
Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post  Church Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:44 am

Just some last min. thoughts and needs of clarification....

Anyone bringing a battery charger to hook up to a vehicle again?

I have a cooler to take to field that will probably hold an entire case of water

Sean is seeking answer to this but just a heads up as it has come up in NC Forum: Once the op starts are we strictly limited to the field? I had read in the NC forum that we will have to stay on the field once the op started and to bring all that we need to the field (cooler, food, etc.).

Time and meeting place for departure tomorrow?

Anything else needed for prep...now is the time to start considering!
Church
Church

Back to top Go down

Post  Oden Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:16 am

K3Primed wrote:Anyone bringing a battery charger to hook up to a vehicle again?

I can bring mine so you guys have some extras

K3Primed wrote:Sean is seeking answer to this but just a heads up as it has come up in NC Forum: Once the op starts are we strictly limited to the field? I had read in the NC forum that we will have to stay on the field once the op started and to bring all that we need to the field (cooler, food, etc.).

If it doesn't get answered, let's assume so, and if they don't allow returning to cars, they'll prolly let you keep things at some sort of firebase

K3Primed wrote:Anything else needed for prep...now is the time to start considering!

Anyone want to go to Walmart today or tomrorow?
Oden
Oden

Back to top Go down

Post  Cleaver Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:27 pm

Minor AAR:

I had a good time! It was definitely way different than any event I've ever been to. Though while it wasn't as action packed as something like Fulda, it was definitely a lot more stressful. I actually believe we were "in game" for a longer duration than Fulda (21 hours straight), but the action was a lot more fragmented. That just made the sudden mortar strikes (simulated with firecrackers, bottle rockets, and fireworks) that much more intense. I don't think any of us slept all that much.

The respawn system could be refined more (though I already spoke to the organizers, it's an easy fix), and we ran out of things to do late game (I guess they didn't have enough objectives planned? That or Command did a poor job relaying orders).

I would, however, make the motion that while being in the 82nd was fun, I think being AQ for this event would have been even better for typical VTAC play style. We aren't so much a milsim team as we are a team that likes to just go out and do damage. Being AQ would have also allowed us to get better sleep, as we would not be under constant attack. Just my thoughts, I guess all I'm saying is that I would not be opposed to switching sides come next Sanctuary (or equivalent) OP.
Cleaver
Cleaver

Back to top Go down

Post  Oden Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:52 pm

believe it or not, I don't think AQ did so hotly during the day portion, as a farmer I saw them walking back and forth so much that the farmers in jerseys started joking them ("Oh, you're back again?!")

I think most of our deaths came from very very bad odds (hot drop offs) and artillery (that morning rush would not have been as bad w/o artillery)

I definitely wish I was an actual player vs a role player for the majority of the game though haha
Oden
Oden

Back to top Go down

Post  Dutch Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:41 pm

I hope you guys enjoyed the milsim style as it's always been my favorite style of play. Everyone there we talked to seemed to really enjoy us and they said they looked forward to playing with us again. Seems we made a good impression with our play and attitude. The JSOC guy we ran with during the night portion told his other guys in the morning that we did a very good job. Everyone feel free to go posts your thoughts/AARs on the NCAO page, they have an After Action thread with a couple of posts already.

If everyone wants to switch to opfor/AQ/bad guys, they should go for it. I however probably won't follow as my thing has always been the MILSIM and what goes along with that, the tactics etc etc, more my style. That's not to discourage anyone from switching sides.
Dutch
Dutch
Gearmosexual

Back to top Go down

Post  Cleaver Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:45 pm

Actually, in retrospect, I'd say you all are right. Maybe just the night time aspect of it appeals to me, but that was small in comparison to the rest of the game.
Cleaver
Cleaver

Back to top Go down

Post  Dutch Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:45 pm

We had a great time on our night missions, at least I did. We were doing the same kind of things, setting up ambushes etc etc, that's how we ended up with so many prisoners. Next time we'll find another medic so you can roll with us on those missions if you decide not to switch.

That being said i know gavin loves being opfor, so i'm not degrading that side at all. I know plenty of people that like running as the bad guy.
Dutch
Dutch
Gearmosexual

Back to top Go down

Post  Dragoncaptin Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:59 pm

Yes Gavin does love opfor. But I must say this op has given me a drive to be the good guys every now and again. I can say from experience that opfor is only really fun when your kicking ass. And whenever you play when your arent it kinda sucks cuz you spend way more time walking back and forth to spawn than you do actually playing.

Really Id just like to see more of our guys come out and play at such an event. I think part of the reason we didn get many ops during the day is that we had 5 people. And having a 5 man team works for some things (like those epic JSOC missions) but for general patrol and stuff during the day I dont think it would have worked as well. So more people means we might get more missions. Plus now people know us.

And really Kyle the reason you got stuck doing medic stuff and didn come with us is cuz you were the only medic there who was actually doing their job. There were supposed to be two others and personally I only saw one and that was only on that morning mortar strike.
Dragoncaptin
Dragoncaptin

Back to top Go down

Post  Papa Bear Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:16 pm

Really hope this happens again next year, sounds like I missed a great event
Papa Bear
Papa Bear

Back to top Go down

Post  Dragoncaptin Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:05 pm

I heard something about trying to do it every quarter at different places around NC...
Dragoncaptin
Dragoncaptin

Back to top Go down

Post  Prophet Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:11 am

First off let me say that this event was extremely enjoyable. VTAC wanted to make a good showing and get to know some of the best teams around in North Carolina. I hope that we were able to do just that. As for the other teams at the event I was impressed with the level of play and sportsmanship shown by both sides.

We arrived early for the event around 3:3o as we wanted to have time to set up our kit and not miss any of the action. As sometimes happens car trouble with another team delayed things slightly but not a problem really. Safety briefing was sufficient and to the point. We entered the field sometime after AQ and set up at the FOB. It was hot as it always is this time of year. Most of us were soaked through by the time we set up at the FOB. We absorbed a member of Juggernaut to round out our squad and set up our comm channels. a member of our squad was tasked with the medic role and another who was to be a role player the next day took on an impromptu role as combat photographer. Things started presently, an IED explosion in the village injured a member of the 82nd and there was a civilian casualty as well. Our squad charlie went out to sim and our medic treated the injured. We returned to sim with Percy in tow as a concerned husband for his rag doll wife.

Percy gets my vote as best role player of the OP, he really got into the role and mixed things up. Al Qaeda members posing as civilians generally scouted our defenses. I expected some probing of our defense in a more physical way but it seemed AQ was waiting for the sun to go down. Our first mission after the sun went down showed us the frustration of confronting an embedded force. We received two casualties (including me) and ended up having to withdraw from the area. A weapons cache had been found but EOD was not available to dispose of the ordinance.
In the next mission we were inserted by chopper to reinforce valhalla that had been hit by an ambush. We ended up inserting within 10 feet of an enemy bunker. Not fun. But fun haha. much adrenaline was pumped. I ended up shooting a couple of peeps but was hit when the truck pulled away. Ended up shooting a third in the knee AFTER I was shot. He said "hey whoever shot me after I shot you, shot me in the knee and it really hurt! And then he laughed. But hey They shot first and under MED. I cannot blame them though it was pretty intense. We were a little worried after that, especially with our rules of engagemsnt.

Our next foray was way more successful. We got attached to JSOC and were led towards OP Alpha, we crossed through and ended up at holiday hotel. We went in torches blazing which ended up working well. We made it through OP Alpha and into a creek and then up a hill to holiday. Matthews, the guy from JSOC had Greg and I torch the area with flashlights while everyone searched for the IED. Two AQ came out of the darkness right in front of Greg and I. One said"Milk dud" We responded and yelled for them to put their weapons down! They replied "You put your weapons down!" They raised their guns and we dispatched them. Then we took them prisoner (you could do that with wounded) and the membersof the 82nd took them back to base. We continued on and came to a shack. I looked in there with Greg and I was like "holy shit there are bodies in there" There were two mannequins against the wall and two suitcases. There were suspicious bomb like devices on the table. We called for EOD but base camp had to wait for the prisoner to be delivered as they couldn't have too few people in the base. We took fire from near a stopped vehicle and repelled them at least for awhile. It seemed an eternity as we waited there for Gene to come. Kaleb and I were near each other and Kaleb saw light in the distance. We had flashlights off as Matthews guided EOD back toward us. Gene arrived and I could see flashlights in the cabin behind me as he opened the case. At one point car lights cut through the woods and I feared a mobile insertion by the enemy. I could hear the command radio chatter detaling what to do. We were asked to return the cases to base for controlled det. We made our way back through the woods and out OP Allpha. We returned to the base with no casualties and EOD destroyed the cases. ( did you get to blow those Gene?) The controlled det devices were cool. They were remotely detonated and the flames produced were several feet high and wide (very cool).

We ran another mission with JSOC deep into Pakistan and went to locate a valuable asset. She was somewhere past Duckett. We went down into Alpha and were the recipients of gunfire. Several people went down. We spotlighted them to blind them and were able to get three of them, taking two prisoners. Someone returned them to base but the prisoners were killed as well as the people returning to base by an IED.

Matthews Greg Jordan and I went off to find the asset. Matthews had gotten hit but was got attention by a medic. One thing I really liked is that there were bleed out times and hands on time for injuries. There were also injuries that could be prevented by wearing the appropriate equipment like a helmet or plate carrier. We found her (and a stuffed mannekin sister) and proceeded to head the wrong way. we skirted half the outside border of CDWC before we oriented the correct way and got back home. Mortar attacks in between some of the missions kept things interesting as we scanned the woods outside our FOB. ONe of the times they were set up in Gotha and a return barrage set of an explosion at their mortar position. Very nice touch.

We waited for the morning (30 more minutes haha) and took short naps where and when we could find them. We were exhausted but never turned down a mission. Our bodies wanted rest but we kept going. I am really proud of the guys from VTAC. Kyle was at times the ONLY medic and did his best to keep soldiers on line. Gene did whatever was needed, a Jack of all trades. the rest of us did what we do best and slung plastic with high precision at the opfor.

The morning was heralded with a mortar attack and full assault from the enemy. Gavin and I went down in the attack. Others were protected. Kyle healed me then Gavin and we did our best to repel the enemy. Many people on our side were using others weapons. At the end of it just four of us remained to hold the base. Luckily they did not press further but instead disengaged.

VTAC was toast by then. Extremely tired we pulled off one more mission and secured a weapons cache. Gene was called in as EOD and we brought the munitions back for controlled det. We got reinforced at ten by SWC and others. We stayed on and defended the base. The last action I took part in was the capture of Sim. Greg Kaleb and I then went back and set off for home.
Prophet
Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post  Church Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:05 am

without a doubt...running with JSOC on a special mission at roughly 2am was one of the coolest things I have ever done. The teamwork and communication that was involved was something straight out of these movies and books we read! When JSOC asked us to torch the way I felt like a boss...then we reached contact and faced no casualties but inflicted pain upon multiple AQ...even more boss! Extracting the explosive ordinance and returning it from near one side of the field to the other proved teamwork and communication is what got it done. Helping each other navigate through thick brush and creeks that early in the morning was satisfying...weird? No, because I realize that relying on those handful of guys is what made the experience. We got the job done boys...we did well and that realization was made when we returned to the FOB and "Manvoice" and others were like "you did what!?"..."Good Work!"
Church
Church

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next